ASSISTANT PROFESSOR OF BUSINESS ADMINISTRATION
OFFICE: WB 265
Wendy Fox-Kirk joined Weber State University in January 2013 and currently serves as an assistant professor of business administration in the Goddard School of Business & Economics. She is WSU’s ElevateHer coordinator and is a founding member of the Weber Women’s Leadership Network and E³, a Women’s Leadership Institute affiliate. She is a consulting editor for the Journal of Education for Business and also serves as a board member on Utah's Higher Education Network, and ILA's Women's Leadership Affinity Group.
In addition to a BS in human psychology and an MS in work psychology and business from Aston University in England, she holds a PhD from the University of Birmingham in the UK.
At WSU, she teaches management courses with a focus on leadership and people development.
Fox-Kirk’s research interests include leadership, ethical organizations and leadership identity. Her work aims to address issues of disadvantage with a particular focus on women’s careers and the gendered organization. She also worked for a number of years in commercial social research and management consultancy supporting the public service and not-for-profit sectors in innovative service delivery and organizational development.
She holds professional certification in psychometric testing (accredited by the British Psychological Society) and is a member of the Academy of Management and the Society for Human Resource Management.
Ph.D., Women's leadership experiences in higher education - University of Birmingham, UK
MSc, Work psychology and business - Aston University, UK
BSc, Applied human psychology - Aston University, UK
Philosophy, reading, gardening and jazz
PUBLICATIONS & PRESENTATIONS
PEER REVIEWED PUBLICATIONS
- Fox-Kirk, W. (2017) Viewing Authentic Leadership Through a Bourdieusian Lens: How Structural Power Constrains Agentic Expression. Advances in Developing Human Resources Special Issue: Authentic Leadership in HRD: Context and Identity Matter! Critical Explorations on Leading Authentically 19(4).
- Lixuan, Z., Iryna, P. & Fox-Kirk, W. (2017) Who Uses Mobile Apps to Meet Strangers: The Roles of Core Traits and Surface Characteristics Journal of Information Privacy and Security 13(4).
- Stevens, M.J, Fox-Kirk, W., Thompson, B., Fawcett, A. M. & Fawcett S. E. (2015) Developing Intercultural Competencies: Elaborating the Personal Barriers to Change,Journal of Strategic Management 7(1), 19-34.
- Bion, Julian MD; Fox-Kirk, Wendy MSc (2009) Eighteenth century mindsets, twenty-first century challenges: The physician as team player, Critical Care Medicine, 37(5), 1828-1829.
- Fox-Kirk, W., Campbell, C. & Egan, C. (2017) Women’s leadership identity: exploring person and context in theory. In. Susan Madsen (Ed.) Handbook of Research on Gender and Leadership (pp.193-206). Cheltenham, UK: Edward Elgar Publishing.
- Egan, C., Shollen, L.S., Campbell, C., Longman, K..A., Fisher, K., Fox-Kirk, W. & Nielson, B.G. (2017) A Capacious Model of Leadership Identity Construction In. (Eds. Julia Storberg-Walker, Paige Haber-Curran) Theorizing Women and Leadership: New insights and contributions from multiple perspectives, Information Age Publishing, pp.121-140.
CONFERENCE PRESENTATIONS (PEER REVIEWED)
- Leadership in Dark Times: Philosophical responses to ethical dilemma. Symposium for ILA Oct. 2017, Brussels (presenters: Ciulla, J.B., Gardiner, R., Tomkins, L. and Whipps, J.D.) – chair.
- Authentic Leadership: Explorations and Interrogations. Panel for ILA Oct. 2017, Brussels (Chair: Elliott, C.J. Presenters: Fine, L., Fox-Kirk, W. Gardiner, R., Hanold, M., Hernandez, K-A, C.C., Ngunjiri, F. & Storberg-Walker, J.B. – presentation.
- Fox-Kirk, W., Egan, C. & Campbell, C. (2017). Women’s Leadership Identity: Exploring Person and Context in Theory. Symposium for ILA’s Women’s Leadership Affinity Group, Biennial Conference 2017, New York – presentation.
- Fox-Kirk, W., Stevens, M.J. & Daily, C. (2017). Sex, Lies and Stereotype: It’s Not Your DNA! Workshop for ILA’s Women’s Leadership Affinity Group, Biennial Conference 2017, New York – presentation.
- Stevens, M.J. & Fox-Kirk, W. (2016). Symbiotic Leadership Theory: A Path to Leader-Follower Collaboration, submission to18th Annual ILA Global Conference: The Dynamics of Inclusive Leadership. November 2016, Atlanta – presentation.
- Fisher, K. & Fox-Kirk, W. (2015) A Bioecological Approach to Leadership Identity Construction, Academy of Management 75th Annual Conference, Vancouver – presentation.
- Campbell, C., Egan, C., Shollen, L.S, Fisher, K., Fox-Kirk, W., Nielson, B.G. & Longman, K.A. (2015) A Capacious Fluid Model of Leadership Identities, 2nd ILA Women and Leadership Affinity Group Conference, California –presentation.
- Campbell, C., Egan, C., Shollen, L.S, Fox-Kirk, W., Fisher, K., Nielson, B.G. & Longman, K.A. (2014) A Capacious Fluid Model of Leadership Identities, 16th Annual ILA Global Conference, San Diego – Pre-conference workshop: Advancing Women in Leadership -presentation
- Stevens, M.J. & Fox-Kirk W. (2014) Leadership as Emergent Systems: A Path to Cultures of Collaboration, 6th Developing Leadership Capacity Conference, Lancaster, UK 2014 – presentation.
- Fox-Kirk W. (2014) Reaching the Top of the Ivory Tower: Exploring the Leadership Journeys of Women in UK Higher Education, Gender Work and Organization Biennial Conference, Keele, UK 2014 –presentation.
PRESENTATIONS & WORKSHOPS
- Madsen, S., Storberg-Walker, J.B., Fox-Kirk, W., Crosby, B. & Ellis, A. (2018). Women and Leadership Public Policy Colloquium: Leading change through public policy – colloquium.
- (2016). Stepping up from the Middle: How women can advance to leadership positions, Utah Women’s Higher Education Network (UWHEN) Annual Conference, University of Utah – presentation.
- Fox-Kirk, W. (2016). Collaborative Leadership Skills for Women, Ogden/Weber Women in Business, Ogden – workshop.
- Fox-Kirk, W. (2016). Collaborative Leadership Skills for Women, Zion’s Bank Forum for Women, Ogden – workshop.
- Fox-Kirk, W. & Stevens, M.J. (2016). Collaborative Leadership Skills for Women, E3 Leadership Summit, Ogden – presentation.
- Fox-Kirk, W. (2016). The Real Reasons Why There Are So Few Women in Leadership Positions, Davis Women in Business, Layton – presentation.
- Fox-Kirk, W. (2014). Learning from Senior Women’s Leadership Journeys, Ogden/Weber Women Empowered Conference, Ogden – keynote presentation.
- Fox Kirk, W. & Berzins, M. A. (2014) What You Need to Know about Career Advancement: Understanding How to Engage Effectively in the Leadership Space, Utah Women’s Higher Education Network (UWHEN) Annual Conference, Utah Valley University – workshop.