ASSISTANT PROFESSOR OF BUSINESS ADMINISTRATION
OFFICE: WB 261
Wendy Fox-Kirk is an assistant professor of business administration in the Goddard School of Business & Economics. Her research interests include gender, power, leadership and identity aiming to address issues of disadvantage with a particular focus on women’s careers and the gendered organization. She has a BSc in Human Psychology, an MSc in Work Psychology & Business from Aston University, and a PhD from the University of Birmingham (UK). Wendy serves on the board for YWCA’s Real Women Run, and is a Research Fellow forUtah’s Women’s Leadership Project (UWLP). She has written book chapters including: Women’s leadership identity: exploring person and context in theory in The Handbook of Research on Gender and Leadership, and is published in the Journal of Strategic Management Studies, Advances in Developing Human Resources, and Critical Care Medicine. She is also a consulting editor for the Journal of Education for Business, and a guest editor for a special issue of Gender in Management: An international journal (Leadership in an age of #MeToo: Global Conversations).
Ph.D., Women's leadership experiences in higher education - University of Birmingham, UK
MSc, Work psychology and business - Aston University, UK
BSc, Applied human psychology - Aston University, UK
Philosophy, reading, gardening and jazz
PUBLICATIONS & PRESENTATIONS
PEER REVIEWED PUBLICATIONS
- Fox-Kirk, W. (2017) Viewing Authentic Leadership Through a Bourdieusian Lens: How Structural Power Constrains Agentic Expression. Advances in Developing Human Resources Special Issue: Authentic Leadership in HRD: Context and Identity Matter! Critical Explorations on Leading Authentically 19(4).
- Lixuan, Z., Iryna, P. & Fox-Kirk, W. (2017) Who Uses Mobile Apps to Meet Strangers: The Roles of Core Traits and Surface Characteristics Journal of Information Privacy and Security 13(4).
- Stevens, M.J, Fox-Kirk, W., Thompson, B., Fawcett, A. M. & Fawcett S. E. (2015) Developing Intercultural Competencies: Elaborating the Personal Barriers to Change,Journal of Strategic Management 7(1), 19-34.
- Bion, Julian MD; Fox-Kirk, Wendy MSc (2009) Eighteenth century mindsets, twenty-first century challenges: The physician as team player, Critical Care Medicine, 37(5), 1828-1829.
- Fox-Kirk, W., Campbell, C. & Egan, C. (2017) Women’s leadership identity: exploring person and context in theory. In. Susan Madsen (Ed.) Handbook of Research on Gender and Leadership (pp.193-206). Cheltenham, UK: Edward Elgar Publishing.
- Egan, C., Shollen, L.S., Campbell, C., Longman, K..A., Fisher, K., Fox-Kirk, W. & Nielson, B.G. (2017) A Capacious Model of Leadership Identity Construction In. (Eds. Julia Storberg-Walker, Paige Haber-Curran) Theorizing Women and Leadership: New insights and contributions from multiple perspectives, Information Age Publishing, pp.121-140.
CONFERENCE PRESENTATIONS (PEER REVIEWED)
- Leadership in Dark Times: Philosophical responses to ethical dilemma. Symposium for ILA Oct. 2017, Brussels (presenters: Ciulla, J.B., Gardiner, R., Tomkins, L. and Whipps, J.D.) – chair.
- Authentic Leadership: Explorations and Interrogations. Panel for ILA Oct. 2017, Brussels (Chair: Elliott, C.J. Presenters: Fine, L., Fox-Kirk, W. Gardiner, R., Hanold, M., Hernandez, K-A, C.C., Ngunjiri, F. & Storberg-Walker, J.B. – presentation.
- Fox-Kirk, W., Egan, C. & Campbell, C. (2017). Women’s Leadership Identity: Exploring Person and Context in Theory. Symposium for ILA’s Women’s Leadership Affinity Group, Biennial Conference 2017, New York – presentation.
- Fox-Kirk, W., Stevens, M.J. & Daily, C. (2017). Sex, Lies and Stereotype: It’s Not Your DNA! Workshop for ILA’s Women’s Leadership Affinity Group, Biennial Conference 2017, New York – presentation.
- Stevens, M.J. & Fox-Kirk, W. (2016). Symbiotic Leadership Theory: A Path to Leader-Follower Collaboration, submission to18th Annual ILA Global Conference: The Dynamics of Inclusive Leadership. November 2016, Atlanta – presentation.
- Fisher, K. & Fox-Kirk, W. (2015) A Bioecological Approach to Leadership Identity Construction, Academy of Management 75th Annual Conference, Vancouver – presentation.
- Campbell, C., Egan, C., Shollen, L.S, Fisher, K., Fox-Kirk, W., Nielson, B.G. & Longman, K.A. (2015) A Capacious Fluid Model of Leadership Identities, 2nd ILA Women and Leadership Affinity Group Conference, California –presentation.
- Campbell, C., Egan, C., Shollen, L.S, Fox-Kirk, W., Fisher, K., Nielson, B.G. & Longman, K.A. (2014) A Capacious Fluid Model of Leadership Identities, 16th Annual ILA Global Conference, San Diego – Pre-conference workshop: Advancing Women in Leadership -presentation
- Stevens, M.J. & Fox-Kirk W. (2014) Leadership as Emergent Systems: A Path to Cultures of Collaboration, 6th Developing Leadership Capacity Conference, Lancaster, UK 2014 – presentation.
- Fox-Kirk W. (2014) Reaching the Top of the Ivory Tower: Exploring the Leadership Journeys of Women in UK Higher Education, Gender Work and Organization Biennial Conference, Keele, UK 2014 –presentation.
PRESENTATIONS & WORKSHOPS
- Madsen, S., Storberg-Walker, J.B., Fox-Kirk, W., Crosby, B. & Ellis, A. (2018). Women and Leadership Public Policy Colloquium: Leading change through public policy – colloquium.
- (2016). Stepping up from the Middle: How women can advance to leadership positions, Utah Women’s Higher Education Network (UWHEN) Annual Conference, University of Utah – presentation.
- Fox-Kirk, W. (2016). Collaborative Leadership Skills for Women, Ogden/Weber Women in Business, Ogden – workshop.
- Fox-Kirk, W. (2016). Collaborative Leadership Skills for Women, Zion’s Bank Forum for Women, Ogden – workshop.
- Fox-Kirk, W. & Stevens, M.J. (2016). Collaborative Leadership Skills for Women, E3 Leadership Summit, Ogden – presentation.
- Fox-Kirk, W. (2016). The Real Reasons Why There Are So Few Women in Leadership Positions, Davis Women in Business, Layton – presentation.
- Fox-Kirk, W. (2014). Learning from Senior Women’s Leadership Journeys, Ogden/Weber Women Empowered Conference, Ogden – keynote presentation.
- Fox Kirk, W. & Berzins, M. A. (2014) What You Need to Know about Career Advancement: Understanding How to Engage Effectively in the Leadership Space, Utah Women’s Higher Education Network (UWHEN) Annual Conference, Utah Valley University – workshop.