Purchasing Card Overview
Using a Purchasing Card (P-Card) allows employees to obtain goods and services more efficiently, reduces paperwork and processing time for departments, and provides cost savings through consolidated payments by the Purchasing department. The P-Card allows the buyer of goods and services to contact vendors directly, including making in-person, telephone, and on-line purchases. Purchases can be made for most items costing less than $1,500 with merchants that accept MasterCard. P-Cards are not intended to replace all methods of purchasing, rather to complement the existing purchasing processes.
Card Ownership And Usage:
- Purchasing Card User's Guide (PDF)
- Contract employees of Weber State University are eligible to be a cardholder
- All purchases are for Weber State University business only
- P-Card must be kept secure. Lost or stolen cards must be reported immediately to the issuing bank (1-800-316-6056) and to the Purchasing Card Coordinator (801) 626-7113.
- The P-Card is non-transferrable and cannot be used by anyone other than the cardholder
- Each transaction must be properly documented
- Monthly statements must be kept on file for 6 years and signed by the cardholder, supervisor and reconciler.
- Initial training is done in-person.
- All P-Cards are subject to annual audits by Internal Audit.
- P-Cards cannot be used to purchase items that exceed the single transaction limit or items on the Restricted Items list.
- P-Cards can be authorized for Purchases Only, Travel Only, or for Purchases AND Travel. Authorization is granted by immediate supervisor.
Card Limits - Standard* limits are established as follows:
- Purchases - $1,500 per single transaction, $7,000 monthly limit
- Travel - $7,000 per single transaction, $7,000 monthly limit
- ATM - Only authorized for foreign and/or group (student) travel and must be pre-approved in writing by the appropriate Vice President.
*Lower limits can be established by direction of employee's supervisor. Higher limits must be approved by the supervisor and Director of Purchasing. A written request by the supervisor for higher limits must be submitted to the Purchasing Card Coordinator.
Obtaining a P-Card
- The Purchasing Card Application (P-Card) is available via the eWeber portal Purchasing Card Request app. New P-Card applications require approval from the requester's supervisor, Accounting Services, and Purchasing. Once a P-Card application has been submitted, the requester's supervisor will be notified via email. The supervisor's email will have a link to the Purchasing Card Request app to update the P-Card's Index/FOAPAL, select whether the P-Card is for purchasing, travel or both and approve the application.
- Training: Once the P-Card application has gone through the appropriate approvals, a new P-Card will be ordered and an appointment for P-Card/Travel training will be sent via WSU Faculty/Staff email. Cardholders are required to complete training and to sign a Cardholder Agreement Form (PDF) before a new P-Card will be issued. Please contact the Purchasing Card Coordinator at ext. 7113 if there is a immediate need for training, otherwise training sessions are scheduled every other week or on an as-needed basis.
P-Card Monthly Statements
It is the cardholder's responsibility to obtain a monthly statement and the appropriate Reconciler and Supervisor's signatures when charges are made on their P-Card.
Statements are available on the JP Morgan Commercial Card website.
Statement Guide (PDF) - this guide contain detailed instructions for logging in and printing statements.
Internal Audit will perform annual audits of all p-card records, including P-Card statements and supporting documentation. The Internal Audit department has listed items they will be reviewing related to Purchasing Cards on their website
Preparing for a P-Card Audit