Students are able to file a 2021-22 FAFSA starting October 1, 2020
- For the 2021-22 FAFSA, students (and parents, as appropriate) report their 2019 income information.
- If you are still applying for the 2020-21 FAFSA, please use tax info from 2018.
What is FAFSA?
The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) is filled out during your senior year in high school and each year in college after that. This is how you apply for all federal and most state financial aid, including Pell grants, work study and federal student loans.
Get Help Completing Your FAFSA
- Monday - Friday 9 a.m. - 4 p.m.
- Shepherd Union 214 A
IRS Verification of Non-Filing Letter
What is an IRS Verification of Non-filing Letter?
An IRS Verification of Non-filing Letter - provides proof that the IRS has no record of a filed Form 1040, 1040A or 1040EZ for the year you requested.
Non Tax filers can request an IRS Verification of Non-filing of their 2018 or 2019 tax return status, free of charge, from the IRS in one of two ways:
Note: Online non-filing verification is typically not available if you have never filed taxes before in prior years. If this is the case, please use the paper request process detailed below.
Paper Request Form – IRS Form 4506-T
Download IRS Form 4506-T (PDF)
- Complete lines 1 – 4, following the instructions on page 2 of the form.
- Line 3: enter the non filer's street address and zip or postal code. Use the address currently on file with the IRS.
- Line 5 provides non filers with the option to have their IRS Verification of Non-filing Letter mailed directly to a third party by the IRS. Have your Non-filing Letter sent to WSU Financial Aid Office, 3885 W Campus Dr. Dept. 1136, Ogden, UT 84408-1136.
- Line 6: Enter tax form number 1040.
- Line 7: Select the checkbox on the right hand side for Verification of Nonfiling.
- Line 9: Year or period requested field, enter "12/31/20xx".
- The non filer must sign and date the form and enter their telephone number. Only one signature is required when requesting a joint IRS Verification of Non-filing Letter. (View a sample with important areas highlighted)
- Mail or fax the completed IRS Form 4506-T to the address (or FAX number) provided on page 2 of Form 4506-T.
- If the 4506-T information is successfully validated, tax filers can expect to receive a paper IRS Verification of Non-filing Letter at the address provided on their request within 5 to 10 days.
- Common FAFSA Mistakes
- Guide to FAFSA
- DACA/Undocumented Financial Aid
- FSA ID step-by-step instructions
- Utah Tax Help
The IRS Data Retrieval Tool allows students and parents to access the IRS tax return information needed to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), and transfer the data directly into their FAFSA from the IRS website.
If you are eligible to use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool, we highly recommend using the tool for several reasons:
- It’s the easiest way to provide your tax data.
- It’s the best way of ensuring that your FAFSA has accurate tax information.
- You won’t need to provide a copy of your or your parents’ tax returns to your college.