FM Warehouse Separation of Duties Procedure
|Procedure Number: OP02|
|Issue Date: November 22, 2011|
|Last Revision Date: August 13, 2013 (by Shawna Rowley)|
This document outlines the responsibilities within the Facilities Management Warehouse so that
the separate duties of ordering, receiving, counting and distributing materiel are not assigned to
PPM 5-25a University Procurement/General
PPM 10-2 Acceptable Use Policy for Computing and Network Resources
FM Procedure E01 Security Protocol for Computers in Facilities Management
Computerized maintenance management system (CMMS): Database that Facilities Management
uses as a work management system.
Inventory Management System (IMS): A computerized system which aids in the management of
materiel records in the Facilities Management Warehouse.
Facilities Management Materiel Manager or designee
Facilities Management (FM) Warehouse duties of ordering, receiving, counting and distributing
materiel will not be assigned to one individual. Security rights and restrictions will be enforced
within the IMS by the FM Systems Analyst.
A. Ordering Materiel
1. Materiel ordering will be done by the FM Materiel Specialist. The Director of
Facilities Business Services or the Budget Clerk will serve as the back-up for
2. Ordering will be done through the University procurement process or via P-card,
maintaining compliance with all State laws and University policies.
3. All materiel purchased will be recorded on a suspense log that will be shared
electronically by the Material Specialist, the Warehouse Manager, and the
Director of Facilities Business Services.
B. Receiving Materiel
1. The Receiving Clerk will verify materiel received at the FM Warehouse against
invoices or purchase orders. The Warehouse Manager will serve as the back-up
2. The Receiving Clerk will enter materiel data, cost and quantity into the IMS,
using the External Inventory Adjustment function.
3. The Receiving Clerk will not place any orders for the FM Warehouse.
C. Counting Materiel
1. Inventory count will be overseen by the FM Warehouse Manager or designee and
must be completed at least annually. Cycle counting is encouraged; however, an
annual inventory count still must be submitted to Accounting Services at the end
of each fiscal year.
2. All inventory discrepancies will be reported in writing to the Director of Facilities
Business Services within two (2) business days. The Director of Facilities
Business Services will investigate and take appropriate action to resolve
3. The Director of Facilities Business Services will request and oversee periodic spot
counts to be performed by non-Warehouse personnel.
D. Inventory Adjustment
1. Inventory adjustments in the IMS are made to correct cost or quantity information
not directly related to receiving. Inventory adjustments are also made for items
that the Warehouse is taking out of inventory for use in the Warehouse (e.g. box
cutters, tape, etc.).
2. Inventory adjustment requests will be submitted in writing to the Budget Clerk
and the Director of Facilities Business Services.
3. The inventory adjustment in the IMS will be made by the Director of Facilities
Business Services or designee (must be a non-Warehouse employee).
E. Releasing/Returning Materiel
1. Materiel releases will be applied to an open work order in the CMMS.
2. Returned materiel will be applied to the original transaction in the CMMS.
3. All FM Warehouse Technicians will be able to perform releases and returns.