OUTDOOR WEBER CONTEST DETAILS
WHAT IS OUTDOOR WEBER?
Headquartered at Weber State University, the Camping World® sponsored Outdoor Weber competition is a three-day outdoor recreation idea contest located in the Ogden Utah Valley, outdoor capital of the world. If you’re a college student with an innovative outdoor idea, it could be worth $30,000 cash.
Eligible college students may submit a brief video between January 5, 2018 and January 26, 2018 explaining their outdoor recreation concept at outdoorweber.com.
Outdoor categories to consider:
- Recreational events
- Anything that you can imagine to make money outdoors!
The videos will be displayed for three weeks from January 26, 2018 - February 15, 2018 on the Outdoor Weber website and accessible to the general public for voting purposes. Anyone is welcome to vote (limited to once per day) on their favorite concept(s). A voting tool is located next to each video.
Make sure to promote your video and generate as many votes as possible by sending people to outdoorweber.org to vote!
Twenty-five semifinalists will be determined by the greatest number of online votes each video receives between January 26, 2018 and February 15, 2018. From this group, a panel of industry experts will select 10 finalists who will then be invited to Ogden, Utah for the final competitive event on March 22-24, 2018. The three-day competition gives participants the opportunity to refine their concepts with assistance from some of the world’s most-recognized outdoor recreation-based individuals and companies, AND recreate in one of the world's most amazing outdoor playgrounds! The winning idea will be selected by a panel of judges based on progress made throughout the duration of the competition, and its creator will take home a $30,000 grand prize.
The purpose of this event is to stimulate new ideas and take unrefined concepts and turn them into promising business opportunities by the end of the competition. Because this competition was created to see how far an idea can progress in a multi-day format, inviting more developed businesses would be an unfair advantage.
Video submissions must be received by January 26, 2018 and not exceed one-and-a-half minutes (1:30) in length. Please describe your outdoor recreation product or service concept and why it would be successful in the marketplace.
You must be able to travel and ready to begin the evening of March 21, 2018. The competitive events will start promptly at 8:00am MST on March 22, 2018. You will be responsible for your own travel costs, however, a three-night (3) hotel stay in Ogden, Utah will be provided at not charge.
Each participant or team must be organized and directed by a University student who is enrolled in at least six credit hours during the Spring 2018 semester of competition (student standing will be verified by Weber State University staff). There are no restrictions regarding other team members and may include students, faculty, family or other professionals. Company formation is not a requirement to enter the competition, however, will be expected afterwards if cash prizes are to be received. Cash winnings will only be awarded to registered companies.
• Teams may present more than one concept; however, each idea must be registered separately
• At least one University student must hold a prominent leadership position or have significant ownership (at least 51%) in the new business
• The business cannot be more than 24 months old as of March 25, 2018
• The business cannot have generated revenues in excess of $50,000 as of March 22, 2018
• The business cannot have any external equity funding as of March 22, 2018 (VC, Angels, grants, etc.); University competitions are excluded
• Businesses cannot have previously received any monetary awards from past Outdoor Weber competitions sponsored by the Weber State Hall Global Entrepreneurship Center, prior to the 2017-2018 school year.
Outdoor Weber participants, who do not abide by the rules of this competition, may be disqualified from the contest at the sole discretion of Weber State University Participants acknowledge and agree that photographs, audiovisual, and other recordings may be made of their likeness during Outdoor Weber contest and may be used and distributed at the sole discretion of [party in charge] for any purpose.
Investor Pitch Evaluation (Each item will be worth up to 5 points. A total of 45 possible points):
- Was the attractiveness of the market opportunity clearly articulated?
- If using your own money, what is the likelihood of investing in this opportunity?
- Rate the level of progress student made during the event?
- Did the team supply convincing and thorough answers to judges’ inquiries?
- Were the presenter(s) and visual aids strong and convincing?
- Did the team clearly address the capital requirements and financial forecast?
- Did the management team demonstrate a clear capability to operate the business as it is presented?
- What degree of intellectual property does the concept have?
- Does the proposed venture have a clear competitive advantage?