Departmental Honors in Engineering
Departmental Honors offers distinction to the best students in the department. This program recognizes accomplishments in the following three areas: scholarship, leadership, and professionalism.
Departmental Honors Requirements:
Earn an overall GPA of at least 3.30 (B+) and an average GPA of at least 3.70 (A-) in all EE courses;
- Earn a grade of A or A- in both EE 4010 and EE 4020 Senior Project; v Be a student member of the Institute of Electrical & Electrical Engineers (IEEE) for at least one year;
- Present a paper or poster at a local or national conference, or author or coauthor an engineering paper or article that is accepted for publication in a local or national periodical;
- Distinguish him- or herself through at least 30 hours of voluntary service (student officer of IEEE, student tutor, WSU campus volunteer, etc.), or at least 100 hours of engineering related industrial experience. If industrial experience is used, the student’s employer must verify and vouch for the quantity and quality of the student’s work.
Students who have not completed their General Education requirements are encouraged to take Honors General Education classes.
Applying for Departmental Honors:
Complete the Departmental Honors Application; (This form is found on WSU Honors Webpagehttp://www.weber.edu/honors/)
- Contact Dr. Suketu Naik, the Engineering Honors Advisor, who will review and sign your application;
- Submit the signed application to Marilyn Diamond, the Honors Program Advisor;
- You must be admitted into Departmental Honors for at least one semester before graduating. (You will receive a letter confirming your acceptance in the program.)
- Meet the requirements listed above;
- Visit with Dr. Suketu Naik early in the semester of anticipated graduation so as to complete the Departmental Honors Exit Application. (This form is found on the Honors Webpage - http://www.weber.edu/honors/)
- Submit the signed form to Marilyn Diamond, the Honors Program Advisor, who will clear you for graduation with Departmental Honors. Please note:
- the exit application must be submitted prior to fall break for fall graduation and prior to spring break for spring graduation;
- you must still apply through the graduation office.
Recognition Through Departmental Honors:
- Your transcript and degree diploma will be printed with the distinction, “Departmental Honors in Engineering;”
- You will receive an invitation to all Honors Program social and educational events;
- You will receive an invitation to the Honors Nye Banquet when you graduate.
For more information, please contact:
Dr. Suketu Naik, Engineering Honors Advisor 801-626-6895 Engineering Technology 133B
Heather Chapman Director of Departmental Honors 801-626-7177 Stewart Library 226