Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

How can I receive a pewter die cast medallion with the presidential seal in honor of my achievement?

Only graduates attending the 8:00 a.m. commencement ceremony will receive a pewter die cast medallion with the presidential seal. The medallion will be presented to each graduate during commencement exercises.

Where can I buy graduation announcements?

Announcements may be purchased from the Weber State Bookstore beginning Wednesday, February 1, 2017. Orders can be made online at


GRAD FINALE is an exciting addition to commencement.  All of the student graduation needs will be at one location on Tuesday, April 17 from 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. in the Shepherd Union Building Ballroom.  You will be able to pick up your three free luncheon tickets (one for the graduate and two for guests). You may also purchase your graduation announcements, class rings, stoles, diploma frames, alumni products, Alumni Association Memberships and additional lunch tickets, etc.  This is the place to be to get all of your graduation needs and then some!

Where/when do I pick up my cap, gown and tassel, and what color of tassel will I receive?

Students may pick up their cap, gown and tassel at the Grad Finale in the Shepherd Union Building, Ballroom from 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. on Tuesday, April 17. No pre-ordering or payment is necessary. When ladies are determining the length of the gown we recommend that you wear heels no higher than 2".  There are numerous stairs at the Dee Events Center and it is very difficult to maneuver the stairs with heels higher than 2".  The cap, gown and tassel do not need to be returned. If you have questions, please contact Wildcat Store.  If you have a problem with your cap, gown or tassel after you have received them, return them to the apparel department on the 1st floor of the Wildcat Store in the Shepherd Union Building from April 19 to 26th for adjustments from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday thru Thursday and 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. on Fridays.  Closed Saturday and Sunday.  For problems on April 27, go to the Wildcat Store in the Dee Events Center at portal 8 from 7:00 am to 3:30 pm.

The colors of the tassels on the mortar board represent academic fields in which the graduates receive their degree. The colors are as follows:

  • Black - College of Engineering, Applied Science and Technology
    • Orange - Electrical Engineering (Bachelor Degree)
    • Orange - Associate of Pre-Engineering (APE Degrees)
    • Orange - Master and Bachelor of Computer Engineering 
  • White - Telitha E. Lindquist College of Arts and Humanities
    • Crimson - Master of Professional Communication
  • Brown - John B. Goddard School of Business and Economics
  • Light Blue - Jerry and Vicki Moyes College of Education
  • Apricot - Dr. Ezekiel R. Dumke College of Health Professions
    • Salmon - Master and Bachelor of Health Administration
    • Sage Green - Master of Respiratory Therapy
  • Golden Yellow - College of Science
  • Cream - College of Social and Behavioral Sciences
    • Citron - Master of Criminal Justice
  • Cream - Interdisciplinary Studies
  • Purple and White - Associate Degree in General Studies

How can I recognize my family? (PST Program)  Thursday, April 26, 2018 at 4:00 p.m.

Students who wish to recognize someone who has helped them through school may participate in the Putting Students Through (PST) Program. Application deadline to submit speeches for consideration is Friday, March 23, 2018.  Deadline to submit names of those to be honored is noon, Thursday, April 19.  The PST program will take place in the Shepherd Union Ballroom B at 4:00 p.m. on Thursday, April 26, 2018.

Please visit the PST website for additional information and to submit names to be honored. For additional information, contact  Jackie Edwards at 801-626-7287.  You may pick up diplomas for those not attending the Putting Students Through program beginning at noon on Wednesday, April 25.  

Do I need tickets for guests?

Tickets are not required to attend the commencement exercises or convocations.

How do I apply to be the graduate speaker at commencement?

Graduates interested in auditioning to be commencement speaker must sign up at the Dean of Students (SC 172) office by Friday, March 16, 2018, and submit a copy of a four-minute speech, vita/resume and a statement of future plans. Auditions will be held March 19-23. Please call 801-626-7256 for further information.

Where can I park?

Campus parking is open to the public free of charge the day of Commencement, April 27, 2018.  Shuttle bus service will run every 5 minutes beginning at 7:00 a.m. from the regular stops around campus to the East side of the Dee Events Center on commencement day,  April 27.  Handicap access at the Dee Events Center is available at the east as well as north entrance.

Where can I find a map and directions?

Weber State Map

Directions to the Weber State University Ogden Campus

Will graduate photos be taken?

Yes. Photographs will be available for purchase through a commercial photographer. There will be two opportunities to have photos taken:

  1. April 17,  8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. at the Grad Finale, Shepherd Union Building Ballroom where graduates pick up their caps and gowns.
  2. On April 27, photos will be taken of the graduates as they receive their diploma covers during the college convocations.

Proofs and pricing will be sent to the graduate’s mailing and/or email address between the first and second week following graduation. Questions regarding your photographs should be directed to the photographer, Grad Images, at (800) 261-2576 or email at

Where do I enter the Dee Events Center, and what do I wear?

You may enter the Dee Events Center through the east entrance. When you arrive, please be wearing your cap and gown. If you have problem with your cap, gown or tassel, you may go to the Campus Store in the Dee Events Center at portal 8 from the hours of 7:00 am and 3:30 pm.

What time does the commencement program start?

7:15 a.m. Graduation Line-Up

Processional lines will form in the upper concourse of the Dee Events Center. Please enter the Dee Events Center through the East entrance where ushers will direct you to your place in the processional line. Check the signs for your college.

8:00 a.m. Commencement Program

The candidates for graduation will receive a pewter die cast medallion with presidential seal and Commencement Program as they are guided to their reserved seats. President Charles A. Wight will preside and announce the program. The exercises will conclude at approximately 9:30 a.m.

When will I receive my diploma?

Diplomas are mailed to April graduates after semester grades are recorded. You can expect to receive your diploma mid to late May.  Diplomas will be sent to the address indicated on your application for graduation unless you notify the Graduation office prior to commencement. Students who cannot attend the commencement exercises may obtain a diploma cover from the Graduation office following Commencement.

What services are available for individuals with disabilities?

Accessible Parking at the Dee Events Center
Persons with mobility impairments may be dropped off and picked up at the East entrance of the Dee Events Center. Parking stalls for those with handicapped decals are located around the perimeter of the facility.

Accommodations for Guests with Mobility Impairments
Persons with mobility impairments should enter through the East entrance (near the Wildcat statue). Wheelchair seating areas are located in sections C, U and V of the Dee Events Center (Portals 4, 20 and 1, respectively.)

Accommodations for Guests with Hearing Impairments
A sign language interpreter will be provided at the commencement ceremony. Seating is available in the lower rows of section S of the Dee Events Center. Access to this area is available via portals 17 & 18.

Accommodations for Graduates
To make the necessary arrangements for the commencement ceremony, graduates with special needs who require accommodation because of a disability are required to contact Don Guthrie, phone (801) 626-6413, in advance. For TTD/TTY calls, please call (801) 626-6850.

Do I qualify for Honor Cords?

Students who qualify for GPA Honors at Graduation may pick up their Honor Cord at the Grad Finale located in the Shepherd Union Building Ballroom from 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m., April 17.  No pre-ordering or payment is necessary.  The policy for honors eligibility is as follows:

Bachelor Degrees (purple and white cords):

Summa Cum Laude
All candidates with a WSU GPA of 3.9 or above.

Magna Cum Laude
All candidates with a WSU GPA of 3.8 or above.

Cum Laude
All candidates with a WSU GPA of 3.6 or above.

Associate Degrees (purple and white cords):

High Honors
All candidates with a WSU GPA of 3.85 or above.

All candidates with a WSU GPA of 3.6 or above.

GPA Honors is based on the student’s cumulative WSU grade point average. GPA Honor designations are recognized in the Commencement Program, on diplomas and on transcripts. GPA Honor categories for the Commencement Program are determined by your WSU GPA at the time the Commencement Program is printed. Your final WSU GPA honor category at graduation is determined by your GPA at degree posting time.

How do I find where my graduate is seated during the 8:00 am commencement ceremony?

Students are seated according to the college that they are graduating from. The processional map will assist you in locating where they will be seated.

processional map (jpeg)
processional map (pdf)