- Melba S. Lehner became a full-time faculty member and department head (1950).
- Weber College established the Child Development – Parent Education laboratory, a nursery school on campus (1950-1951).
- In partnership with the Utah State Department of Education and Ogden City Schools, the Family Life Institute started with a two-day conference addressing current issues facing families.
- Weber College moved to its new campus on Harrison Boulevard in Ogden.
- The Tri Vista Club was renamed the Home Economics Club.
- The department changed its name to the Department of Home and Family Living.
- The 1959 legislature authorized Weber College to extend its instructional program to four years.
- The first junior year of coursework was offered in 1962-63, and the first senior year of coursework in 1963-64.
- The Family Life four-year program was approved in 1966-67.
- The department awarded its first baccalaureate degree in 1968.
- The department was housed in the Division of Life Science until 1966-67 and transferred to the School of Education in 1967-68.
- The department changed its name to Family Life Department.
- The Early Childhood Education program was instituted in collaboration with the Department of Teacher Education (1971).
- WSU’s first campus child care center opened.
- The college moved into the newly built education building
- The department changed its name to Department of Child and Family Studies.
- The department was awarded a contract to train teachers for the Indian Head Start CDA program.
- Training teachers for the Tri-state Indian Program (10 reservations with a 3,000 to 4,000 mile radius) garnered the department international recognition.
- The Families Alive Conference began in 1984.
- The Family Education Center was approved by the Board of Regents.
- The department mission statement was created, along with a detailed five-year plan.
- The Early Childhood and Early Childhood Education curriculums were aligned with NAEYC Guidelines.
- The TEACH program for emotionally disturbed and/or behaviorally disordered preschoolers was integrated into the Children's School.