Enlarge your View
Learn, read, and watch more about waste.
Articles & Books
- Behind the Beautiful Forevers-Katherine Boo's Pulitizer Prize winning account of life in Annawadi, India--a makeshift settlement in the shadows of Mumbai's luxury hotels.
- It Started with a futon in a dumpster. Now it's a student org that's changing the way we see waste- Megan Kelly's story for Upworthy about a student organization that's changing the way we see waste.
- The actual, non-politically correct problem with American colleges today - food waste on campus.
Initiatives, Movements & Organizations
- O-Town Kitchen-Reducing Food Waste-a local organization dedicated to reducing food waste, employing homeless parents, and impacting our community.
- Post-Landfill Action Network- a national movement of student leaders working towards a world without waste.
- Borderlands Food Bank-Located in the border community of Nogales, Arizona, Yolanda Soto is situated in a pivotal spot on the produce route between Mexico and the U.S.—where food could either end up in landfill or on her client’s tables. Her non-profit food bank Borderlands, gives out 25 to 40 million pounds of produce a year. That fresh food ends up in lots of different places—with individuals who come pick it up themselves and with larger agencies like churches, non-profits, and schools, who pick up on a larger scale.
Films, TED Talks & Videos
- Just Eat It- a movie about food waste.
- Love and Rubbish-a short film about the lives of a group of children living on a rubbish dump outside of Moscow.
- A guerilla garderner in South Central LA-a TED Talk by Rob Finley who plants vegetable gardens in abandoned lots, traffic meridian, and along curbs.
- Why Poverty?-a series of 8 documentaries from award-winning filmmakers.