Key Elements of High-Impact Practices
1. Significant investment of time and effort by students over an extended period of time (Personal Investment)
2. Interactions with faculty and peers about substantive matters (Meaningful Relationships)
3. Inclusive experiences with people and circumstances that differ from those with which students are familiar
4. Frequent, timely, and constructive feedback (Quality Feedback)
5. Periodic, structured opportunities to reflect and integrate learning (Personal Reflection)
6. Opportunities to discover relevance of learning through real-world applications (Practical Application)
7. Public dissemination of learning experience
Italics indicate category on Student Affairs Student Engagement Rubric.
Source: Kuh, G.D, & O'Donnell, K. (2014). Ensuring quality and taking high-impact practices to scale. Washington, DC: Association of American Colleges and Universities.