WSU Offers Science and Arts in Parks for Ogden Families
OGDEN, Utah – Weber State University Arts in the Parks and Science in the Parks are gearing up for another summer of free art and science activities for children and their families.
Arts in the Parks is in its 10th year and Science in the Parks in its 13th. The programs visit six Ogden-area parks each summer to provide fun, interactive art and science activities. The programs visit each park for one week at a time, with different activities planned for each day of the week. All activities coincide with Ogden School District’s free lunch program.
“Arts in the Parks is a wonderful experience for all involved, from WSU students and faculty to community volunteers, artists and the children we serve,” said Kathryn MacKay, Arts in the Parks co-director and WSU history professor. “It is a fine example of the rich collaborations that are possible between the university and the community.”
Each day’s activities are centered around a specific theme. Arts in the Parks’ themes this year are: Monday, Imagine It (Puppets & Theatre); Tuesday, Move It (Dance with WSU’s Ballet Folklorico); Wednesday, Feel It (African Drumming with Deja Mitchell); Thursday, Tell It (Storytelling with Rachel Heldman); and Friday, Make It (with Utah Museum of Contemporary Art).
Science in the Parks’ themes this year are See It, Hear It, Build It, Move It and Feel It.
“Science is for everyone at all levels,” said physics professor Adam Johnston, who directs Science in the Parks. “Science doesn’t come in a kit. It’s already out there, and the Science in the Parks program tries to show families that their own park or kitchen or sidewalk has opportunities for science.”
The programs are free to the public thanks multiple supporters, including Weber County RAMP and the Utah Museum of Contemporary Art.
Arts in the Parks Calendar:
· June 3-7, noon-1 p.m., Lorin Farr Park (769 Canyon Rd., Ogden)
· June 10-14, noon-1 p.m., Monroe Park (850 30th St., Ogden)
· June 17-21, noon-1 p.m., Lester Park (663 24th St., Ogden)
· June 24-28, noon-1 p.m., Mt. Ogden Park (3144 Taylor Ave., Ogden)
· July 1-3, noon-1 p.m., Fourth Street Park (275 4th St., Ogden)
· July 8-12, noon-1 p.m., West Ogden Park (751 W 24th St., Ogden)
Science in the Parks Calendar:
· June 10-14, 11:30 a.m.-1 p.m., Lorin Farr Park
· June 17-21, 11:30 a.m-1 p.m., Monroe Park
· June 24-28, 11:30 a.m.-1 p.m., Lester Park
· July 1-3, 11:30 a.m.-1 p.m., Mt. Ogden Park
· July 8-12, 11:30 a.m.-1 p.m., Fourth Street Park
· July 15-19, 11:30 a.m.-1 p.m., West Ogden Park
Visit weber.edu/wsutoday for more news about Weber State University.
Todd Oberndorfer, Arts in the Parks co-director
801-626-7689 • email@example.com
Kathryn MacKay, Arts in the Parks co-director
801-626-6782 • firstname.lastname@example.org
Adam Johnston, Science in the Parks director
801-626-7711 • email@example.com
Ross Rosier, Office of Marketing & Communications
801-626-7948 • firstname.lastname@example.org