The Division of Student Affairs supports the university wide commitment to student success through the following priorities and initiatives:
ACCESS: ENSURE STUDENTS HAVE ACCESS TO AND RECEIVE SUPPORT IN TRANSITIONING TO WSU
- Ensure students have access to and receive support in transitioning to WSU.
- Enhance support services to better prepare & retain underrepresented students in high school.
- Engage with students during the time between being admitted to WSU through the first semester.
- Provide additional training, support, and observations of tutoring support services in the high schools including AVID support.
- Method: Specialist hired
- Expand Summer Bridge transition program.
- Method: Student enrollment will grow from 50 to 75 participants.
- Expand interest groups that students can connect with when registering for orientation & provide intentional communication through the fall semester.
- Method: Interest groups will increase in numbers. Participation in associated programs, clubs, etc. will increase due to additional follow up.
- Strategically structure programs and activities during the first six weeks of each semester to ensure that, as a division, we are engaging a broad range of students.
- Method: E-calendar established for 2019-2020.
LEARNING: ENGAGE STUDENTS IN MEANINGFUL LEARNING OPPORTUNITIES
- Engage students in meaningful learning opportunities.
- Assist in university efforts to increase student retention and graduation.
- Develop and provide training on advising strategies between Academic and Student Affairs (e.g., making referrals, Starfish utilization).
- Enhance the Division Peer Mentoring efforts.
- Refine the intentional ways through which we connect students with engagement opportunities.
- Enhance the student employment experience.
- Increase semester to semester enrollment.
- Continue to develop and enhance use of the Starfish platform including increasing referrals made, utilizing the prospective student's function, and allowing students to schedule online appointments (where possible).
- Method: All departments with one on one meetings with students will be utilizing Starfish. Individual departments will develop success plans where necessary, & departments will contact users from their department who appear to not be returning the following semester.
- Create a baseline of the number of freshman students served through (Student Affairs) mentoring programs
- Method: Create a baseline of students served; increase the overall number of students served through mentoring.
- Enhance Student Affairs services provided through online mediums.
- Method: Create a baseline for first year retention of students participating in mentoring programs.
- Launch the Weber Connect engagement platform and the SafeUT app university wide
- Method: Weber Connect program successfully launched. 2000 students will download the application.
- Identify signature events in each department in order to cohesively and intentionally market to campus and other stakeholders.
- Method: Signature programs established for each department.
- Intentionally design and measure student learning through on-campus student employee training program
- Method: Student learning outcomes created.
- Increase visibility of and the number of on-campus student employment positions.
- Method: Increase in the number of 50/50 positions at WSU.
- Assist in the university wide initiative to contact unaccounted for students by contacting individuals directly tied to our depts. (e.g., student leaders, employees).
- Method: Baseline created for first year retention of students participating in transition and mentoring programs.
COMMUNITY: PROVIDE STAFF PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT TO BEST ADVANCE STRATEGIC PRIORITIES
- Enhance division communication and marketing.
- Unify Division marketing approach.
- Enhanced referral services provided by the Shepherd Union Information Desk.
- Research extension space.
- Move student affairs Marketing to report centrally. Create overall marketing strategy through Weber Connect, social media, and for signature programs.
- Method: Marketing strategy created. Signature programs identified.
- Train Information Desk employees to serve as a one stop referral location.
- Method: Students trained to make referrals across the university.
- Work with key individuals to identify and prepare long-term space for CCEL's research extension
- Method: Space occupied by end of academic year.