Last Update: June 12, 2020
Starting June 15, the University Village office will be open Monday - Friday 9 a.m. - 5 p.m.
If you have any questions or concerns, please call 801-626-7275 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Living on Campus Over Summer
We are working with emergency planners and public health officials as the situation with COVID-19 continues to evolve. Classes have been moved online, and as you know, many campus services are closed. The city and state have implemented restrictions on public gatherings and some community services (restaurants, etc.) in order to encourage social distancing to slow the spread of the COVID-19 virus.
We want students who choose to stay on campus to understand that circumstances may continue to evolve and our ability to provide a full range of housing and dining services will be impacted. We want to work with you and support you the best we can given the circumstances.
New Resident Check-in: June 17-21 at University Village Community Center
In order to promote social distancing and to limit the number of people congregating at one time, we ask that you wear a face covering while in common areas or when appropriate social distancing cannot be maintained. Please bring no more than two additional people to help you move in. Please notify us if you need a later check-in date.
If you are currently experiencing any COVID-19 symptoms, please do not check-in until you have been symptom free for 14 days.
I was planning to move home, but now I can’t because of COVID-19 travel restrictions. Can I stay in campus housing until I am able to move home?
Yes. If you are a current resident, who was not planning to stay for the summer, but you can’t move back home due to COVID-19 related travel restrictions, you can stay with us in campus housing until you are able to return home. However, it may be necessary for us to move you to a different room or building. There is an additional charge for each night that you stay between April 24 and the date you check out. The charge is a daily rate of your regular semester room charges.
In order for us to accommodate your stay, please send an email to email@example.com explaining that you are not able to return home (include destination) because of COVID-19 travel restrictions. The email should include your name, W# and contact phone number, so we can follow up with you with any additional information or requirements. So that we can plan custodial and staffing schedules, we ask that you please keep us updated about your anticipated checkout date. Also, please don’t forget to complete an express check out.
We recognize some students may not have an alternative place to live or can’t travel home at this time. Students who do not have a housing alternative or who are unable to travel home at this time are required to complete a request to stay form.
When You Are Able To Check-Out
To streamline the check-out process, we will offer an express check-out option. An express check-out does not require you to sign up for a specific check-out time and meet with a Housing & Residence Life staff member. An express check out also limits direct person-to-person contact in to assist with social distancing. Please read the express check-out instructions below if you are considering this option:
- Express check-out packets will be available Thursday, March 19 for pick up at your Village Office during regular business hours.
- Please remove all of your belongings from your room. Items left behind will be considered abandoned and will be disposed of (damage/cleaning charges may apply).
- Clean your room, and make sure shared areas in the suite or apartment are clean and trash is removed and disposed of in the larger dumpsters outside the buildings.
- When your room is empty and clean, complete the information on the front of the express check-out envelope. Don’t forget to legibly sign and date the envelope.
- Fill out the change-of-address card, and place it in the envelope.
- Lock your door, and place your room/mail keys in the envelope.
- Seal the envelope, and drop it off at your village office. If you drop off after the office is closed, please place the sealed envelope in the mail drop slot near the office.
Reminder: Housing and Residence Life staff will complete a walk through of your room after we receive your express check-out packet. The condition of the room will be compared to the Unit Condition Report you signed when you moved in. Cleaning and damage charges may be assessed if appropriate.
* We have suspended face-to-face check out. We will honor the regular check out for students who previously signed up for in-person check out, but will not be accepting any more requests.
I currently live on campus, and I signed up to live on campus for the summer. Is housing going to be available?
Yes! If you are a current resident and you have applied for summer housing, at this time we are planning to move students into summer housing assignments at University Village as usual.
If you are a current resident who applied for summer housing, but would like to cancel your summer housing request as a result of COVID-19 restriction, please complete a Summer Housing COVID-19 request for release by May 1, 2020.
I applied for summer housing but I do NOT currently live on campus? Will I be able to move in?
In light of concerns related to slowing the spread of COVID-19 in our community, as well as concern for the safety and welfare of our staff and residents, we have made the difficult decision to delay move in for any student who does not currently live with us until the beginning of summer session block two, which is the weekend of June 19 - 21. There is a chance this date may be further delayed.
We will continue to monitor COVID-19 updates from our state and local health professionals and make adjustments as necessary.
We did not come to this decision lightly. We are disappointed that we will not be able to welcome you as soon as we had hoped. If you would like to cancel your summer housing request, your deposit will be refunded to you.
When will I know what my summer room assignment is?
Before we issue your summer room assignment, we are asking you to complete a brief survey related to your current COVID-19 status. The move process will work like this:
- COVID-19 status negative: If you indicate that you are not experiencing COVID-19 symptoms and have not knowingly been in close contact with someone who has tested positive for COVID-19, we will email you with your summer room assignment.
- An express check-in form, along with keys to your summer room, will be placed in your current mailbox. Pick up the express check-in form and keys and you can start your move. Please follow the instructions provided to complete your check-in. We ask that you complete your move within 72 hours of when you are issued your assignment.
- After you have moved all of your belongings to your summer assignment, please complete an express check OUT of your spring room assignment. Express check out forms and instructions are available near the Village offices / mailboxes. Please don’t forget to complete a checkout and return your keys by dropping the express check out envelope in the mail slot near the Village office.
- COVID-19 status uncertain or positive: If you indicate that you are experiencing COVID-19 symptoms or have been in close contact with someone who has tested positive for COVID-19 within the past 14 days, please provide us your cell phone number or email address that you check so that we can follow up with you. We will work with you and with guidance from our campus health providers to work out a next steps plan with you. This may include a period of self-isolation or quarantine until you are cleared to move to your regular summer assignment.
Are there going to be four people in the apartment?
- In order to help maintain some physical distancing, we are only going to assign two (2) students to each apartment for summer block one. We will continue to monitor state and local conditions and will work with campus health and safety officials to determine when it is ok to return to regular assignment protocols.
- We are going to hold off on accepting any new residents until summer block two (approximately June 19th) We will revisit options at that time.
- We have deep cleaned all the apartments being used for summer housing.
- We have developed a no-contact check-in process. (see information below).
- Before allowing students to move to summer assignments, we are asking each student to complete a form indicating if they are currently experiencing any symptoms associated with COVID-19 or have been exposed to someone who has tested positive for COVID-19. Students who indicate that they are showing symptoms or have been exposed to COVID-19 will be asked to self-isolate for a minimum of 14 days. We will work with individuals in self-isolation as needed to arrange no-contact delivery of food or other supplies if needed.
No-contact express check-in process for summer residents
- If you have applied for summer housing, you will receive an email requesting that you complete a form regarding your COVID-19 status. After we receive your completed COVID-19 status form, we will email you with your summer room assignment with approval for you to move to your summer assignment.
- If you are approved to move to your summer assignment, keys to your summer room will be placed in your current mailbox with an express check in sheet.
- We encourage you to coordinate a time with your new roommate to check into your apartment so that you can better maintain social distancing guidelines. Please help facilitate this process by checking your email and responding promptly should your roommate be trying to contact you.
Please review the information on the express check in sheet. Correct anything that is incorrect and add any information needed. Sign and date the form.
- Return the check in sheet by dropping it in the outgoing mail slot next to the mail boxes.
- Please plan to complete your move within 72 hours.
- After you have moved into your new apartment, please complete an Express Check Out of your (current) spring semester room. To complete an express check out
- Please pick up an express check out envelope near the housing office.
- Fill out all requested information.
- Please don't forget to complete a change of address card and check your mail.
- Put your Spring room keys into the envelope and put the envelope into the outgoing mail slot near the mail boxes.
- If you have any questions, please contact the RA duty phone or email firstname.lastname@example.org
I Moved Out
I am at home, but my belongings are still in my room. Can my belongings stay in my room or apartment for now?
We have been reaching out to student in this situation. If you have not already done so, please contact us by May 15 to confirm plans for returning to pick up your belongings, arranging for someone else to pack and move them for you, or arranging for them to be removed and stored somewhere else.
We will do all that we can to help reasonable ensure that your belongings are treated respectfully, but if we do not hear from you, we may have to pack and remove your belongings so that maintenance or cleaning of the room can take place.
When can I expect to receive my housing refund?
Refunds generally take about 30 days from your check out date to process. Please keep in mind that refunds are also reviewed by student accounts, financial aid and if applicable, dining services, before they are finalized. A final account statement will be sent to your WSU email account when your refund is complete. If you have not received a notice, and it has been more than 30 days from your check out date, please contact us.
What You Need to Know While You are in Housing
Our full-time custodial staff is continuing daily to disinfect and clean the public or common areas. To promote cleanliness, the custodian will place disinfectant spray and disposable towels in common areas, so students can wipe down surfaces before and after use. We also encourage students to use hand sanitizer stations available in public areas. We are working on increasing the number of hand-sanitizer stations.
There are certain areas within the residence halls that are your responsibility to keep clean, including all personal spaces. Just a reminder that we have vacuums and cleaning supplies available in the village offices for residents to check out and use at no cost. We ask all residents to become familiar with and follow the recommendations of the CDC and take personal responsibility for following those recommendations. The best prevention is for everyone to do their part to keep areas clean, wash hands frequently, and do not meet in groups. If you are sick, please immediately self-quarantine, let our staff know, and follow up with a medical provider.
If you are aware of a cleaning emergency, please let the on-duty staff member know as soon as possible, so we can respond quickly.
Guests & Tours
In support of social distancing and until further notice, residents may not host guests or visitors (with the exception of move-out helpers). We also ask that you continue to practice social distancing even within the community.
Until further notice, WSU Housing will not allow tours of our facilities by outside groups or individuals.
Fitness centers in Res Halls are closed.
- Check for the most up-to-date information from WSU
- Keeping Connected: Virtual Services and Engagement Opportunities
- COVID-19 FAQ
- Preventing viral infections
- Counseling & Psychological Services Center Virtual Groups
- I am sick. Should I be tested for COVID-19?
- Student Health Center (appointment only)
- Using Canvas
- Laptop Checkout
- WiFi Hotspot Checkout
If you have any questions or concerns, please contact our office: 801-626-7275 or via email at email@example.com.