Frequently Asked Questions

What does counseling cost?

Counseling is free to students, as CPSC services are a benefit provided by your student fees. 

How many counseling sessions can I attend?

Services at CPSC are generally short-term and limited to 12 sessions per academic year. You and your therapist can discuss how to meet your goals in that time frame. You may incorporate some group therapy sessions into your treatment plan. Group sessions do not count toward your 12 sessions per year. If you would like to receive longer-term therapy, you can see our list of community providers.

What about privacy? Who can you share my information with?

Your information is kept confidential within our center. This means your counselor may consult with another counselor or supervisor about your care, but we will not discuss your information with anyone outside of the center unless you provide written permission for us to do so. If you are under age 18, you are legally a minor and your parents may be able to access your information. There are also legal exceptions to confidentially that require counselors to intervene in cases of imminent danger to yourself or others; to report suspected abuse, neglect, or exploitation of children or disabled adults; and that allow release of information in response to a subpoena or court order. Please ask your counselor any questions you have about your confidentiality.

Learn more about confidentiality

What can I talk about in counseling?

Generally, people come to counseling because something in their lives is not working well. Counseling can help them figure out new ways to deal with problems. People come to counseling to work on many different things, including stress, depression, anxiety, relationship issues, grief, and academic problems. Sometimes young adults seek counseling to help them deal with concerns related to self-esteem, sexuality, spirituality, and other issues of importance at this stage of life. If you have a problem you want to address in counseling, setting up a first appointment is a good way to find out if counseling can help you solve it.

Who provides services in your center?

Counseling services are provided by licensed mental health professionals and supervised graduate students. Our licensed staff includes psychologists, social workers, marriage and family therapists, and clinical mental health counselors. Licensed staff members supervise graduate students and new professionals who are completing their degrees and licenses in these fields.

Learn more about our staff

What does it mean if I meet with a Graduate Practicum Counselor?

As a client of CPSC, your counselor may be a student in a graduate program in a mental health field, or may be a new professional who is gaining supervised hours to qualify for licensure. No undergraduate students provide therapy services. Our Graduate Practicum Counselors are advanced students in graduate level training programs. They have been carefully screened, interviewed, and selected for these positions. Our Graduate Practicum Counselors videotape sessions in order to receive close supervision on their cases. You will be informed if your sessions will be videotaped. Your information still remains confidential, and is only shared with the Graduate Practicum Counselor’s supervisor. Your counselor and her/his supervisor will work together as needed to make sure that you are receiving the highest quality services you need to accomplish your goals. Working with a Graduate Practicum Counselor means you get the benefit of two counselors!

Does therapy really help?

Most people find that therapy does help them. Therapy is most successful if you are ready to make changes in your life and are willing to take an active role in your treatment plan. Your counselor can help you work toward accomplishing your treatment goals and will help you learn to track your own progress. Sometimes it takes time for people to feel better, but some people feel better after their first session and many people report feeling better after a few sessions.

Who needs therapy?

Many times, people have a mistaken belief that only people with serious mental health problems need therapy. Therapy is helpful for a wide range of problems. If you have reached a “stuck” point in your life and you have tried resolving it on your own and with help from family and friends, chances are good that therapy would help you get “unstuck.”

I want to refer a friend, but I’m worried my friend will be offended. What should I do?

Wanting to help a friend feel better shows a great deal of caring, and knowing that you cannot help all on your own shows caring for yourself too. Check out the information on our website. If you have questions about services, give us a call. Then talk to your friend about your concerns, share our information, and let your friend know that you are supportive. Encourage them to get help and communicate that seeking counseling is healthy. If you think your friend is experiencing an immediate mental health crisis, you or your friend can call the Weber County Crisis Line at 801-625-3700 or the Davis County Crisis Line at 801-773-7060.

What types of treatment do you offer?

CPSC offers individual therapy, couples therapy, family therapy, and group therapy, and we offer limited crisis intervention services in emergency situations. Our Psychiatric and Mental Health Nurse Practitioner also provides psychiatric services to clients actively involved in counseling.

What are psychiatric services?

Sometimes people who are participating in mental health counseling would also benefit from medication to help manage symptoms. Psychiatric services are mental health treatments provided by medical specialists who can prescribe medications. Our Psychiatric and Mental Health Nurse Practitioner can meet with clients of CPSC who are considering incorporating medication into their treatment plan.

I am in crisis. What do I do?

CPSC offers crisis appointments on a daily basis. If you are experiencing a mental health crisis and would like to be seen at CPSC today, please contact us and our front desk staff will assist you in making a same-day appointment.

If you need help after CPSC business hours, during weekends, or if you need to speak with someone immediately, you can access crisis services in one of the following ways:

  • Call the Weber County Crisis line at 801-625-3700 or the Davis County Crisis line at 801-773-7060
  • Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255
  • Call 911
  • Have someone take you to the local emergency room

If your crisis involves a physical injury or danger to yourself or someone else, please call 911.