All students admitted to the Teacher Education program must pass a background check for the Utah State Board of Education (USBE) prior to beginning program coursework.
You MAY NOT participate in required field experiences UNTIL your background check has cleared. Failure to receive clearance in a timely manner could delay you a semester or more in the program, as you will have to repeat the semester to complete field experiences.
Your admissions letter will give you instructions on the clearance process. Please make sure you read it carefully.
To complete the Teacher Education background check process:
- Visit the USBE Background Check website to start the process. Click on initial licensure and continue through the step by step process. Make your payment on-line and print out the authorization letter.
- Make arrangements to visit a USBE Live Scan site:
Please follow the directions below:
After you have received an email from USBE saying you have cleared your background check, your clearance card and lanyard will be available in the Teacher Education Advisement Center ED 230, 801 626-7694. You will need to provide proof of identity with a picture ID. The clearance card must be worn at all times when you are in a school and must hold the clearance card and WSU ID.
PLEASE BE ADVISED:
This background check is valid for five years, and must not be expired at time of licensing at the completion of the program in order for the department to recommend you to the state for a license. If you do not complete your professional education program, including student teaching and licensure application, within five years of completing the background check, you will have to repeat the process.
For answers to questions about what you need to do to be fingerprinted, please contact the individual associated with your specific educational program:
- Teacher Education-- Michelle Checkman (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Children's School Activities--Camie Bearden, Children's School Director (email@example.com)
- Child and Family Studies (outside Children's School activities)--Danielle Orozco (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Charter Academy--Carol VandenAkker (email@example.com)
- Athletic Training--Valerie Herzog (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Americorp/CCEL--Mike Moon (email@example.com)