Weber invites submissions in the genres of personal narrative, critical commentary, fiction, creative non-fiction, and poetry that offer insight into the environment and culture (both broadly defined) of the contemporary western United States. Our spring issue has a Film Focus to resonate with Utah's Sundance Film Festival in January, and manuscripts (or interviews) addressing film will be given consideration for this annual issue. We also consider substantive interviews for publication and develop special Focus Issues as the occasion arises. The journal also has a regular “Global Spotlight” feature, which seeks to introduce the work important international writers to our readers.
We particularly seek works that speak to the following themes: preservation of and access to wilderness, environmental cooperation; insight derived from living in the West; cultural diversity; changing federal involvement in the region; women, minority populations and the West; implications of population growth; the contributions of individual scholars, artists, community leaders, and public intellectuals toward an enlarged understanding of the (both new and old) West. We look for good writing that engages human nature as well as natural environment.
Weber—The Contemporary West appears in simultaneous print and electronic editions.
- Weber's review board operates on blind submissions. If you send a submission by mail, include two copies—one with contact information in the header, one without contact information.
- To expedite review, authors should enclose two copies of each manuscript and/or send it as an online submission to email@example.com.
- Weber does not consider nor reprint previously published work, but is willing to consider simultaneous submissions if they are identified as such.
- Essay and fiction submissions should not exceed 4,000 words, and poets should submit a cluster of 3-5 poems for consideration.
- Manuscripts without self-addressed stamped envelopes cannot be returned.
- An electronic version of the manuscript will be required upon acceptance for publication.
- Send manuscripts or inquiries to:
Michael Wutz, Editor
Weber—The Contemporary West
Weber State University
1405 University Circle
Ogden, Utah 84408-1405
With best wishes from all of us at Weber—