How to Change Your Major
Deciding what to major in is not an easy task, but we're here to help. There are a few things to consider when deciding what to major in. First, research your choice. Talk with an advisor in the department and become familiar with the curriculum by taking a few classes to see if you would enjoy the subject’s content.
Next look at potential career opportunities related to your major choice. Talk with professionals who are currently in the field you would like to study. They can give you the inside scoop about the career and explain the day-to-day activities of the job and give you tips along the way. Career Services can help you connect with potential career choices and professionals in the work force.
Finally, if you decide the academic path is for you then visit with the department to be properly declared in the major. Some departments require an application process to be admitted to the program. You will need to contact the department secretary to initiate the process and get information on how to apply to certain programs.
If you would like to see how your current classes will be applied to the new major before you declare the major, do a what-if scenario in CatTracks. To run what-if scenarios follow these simple steps.
- Log into CatTracks by accessing the application through your student portal
- Once your degree evaluation has loaded click on what-if located on the left side of the page.
- Select your type of degree (Bachelors of science, arts or an Associate’s degree)
- Select the current catalog year
- Select the new major (once the major is selected it will appear in the dialog box on the right)
- Select a minor if you like to pursue one or if it is required for the major
- Click “run what if” located towards the top of the page.