What Rights Do Parents Have Under FERPA?
- What rights do a parent have once a student attends college?
- Upon matriculation (1st day of the students admitted semester) at Weber State University, all rights to information transfer to the student.
- When may a parent access a student's educational records?
- FERPA allows parental access if the student is claimed as a dependent for Federal income tax purposes. To receive access, the parent must provided documentation (appropriate tax form with child's name listed as dependent) at the point of service.
- Parents providing documentation of dependency may access student information, but cannot act on the students behalf except in cases of emergencies.
- Can a parent access student information when the student is not a dependent?
- The parent can only have access if the student is willing to release the information.
- Students must complete the 'Student Information Release Form' and provide a signed copy to the parent. The parent is then required to present the form at each point of service.
- Anyone presenting a Student Information Release Form can act on the students behalf according to the permissions granted on the form.