Using a Purchasing Card (P-Card) allows employees to obtain goods and services more efficiently, reduces paperwork and processing time for departments, and provides cost savings through consolidated payments by the Purchasing department. The P-Card allows the buyer of goods and services to contact vendors directly, including making in-person, telephone, and on-line purchases. Purchases can be made for most items costing less than $1,500 with merchants that accept MasterCard. P-Cards are not intended to replace all methods of purchasing, rather to complement the existing purchasing processes.
OVERVIEW OF CARD OWNERSHIP AND USAGE:
- Purchasing Card User's Guide
- Contract employees of Weber State University are eligible to be a cardholder
- All purchases are for Weber State University business only
- P-Card must be kept secure. Lost or stolen cards must be reported immediately to the issuing bank (1-800-316-6056) and to the Purchasing Card Coordinator (801) 626-7113.
- The P-Card is non-transferrable and cannot be used by anyone other than the cardholder
- Each transaction must be properly documented
- Monthly statements must be kept on file for 4 years and signed by the cardholder, supervisor and reconciler.
- Initial training is done in-person.
- All P-Cards are subject to annual audits by Internal Audit.
CARD LIMITS - Standard* limits are established as follows:
- P-Cards cannot be used to purchase items that exceed the single transaction limit or items on the Restricted Items list.
- P-Cards can be authorized for Purchases Only, Travel Only, or for Purchases AND Travel. Authorization is granted by immediate supervisor.
*Lower limits can be established by direction of employee's supervisor. Higher limits must be approved by the supervisor and Director of Purchasing. A written request by the supervisor for higher limits must be submitted to the Purchasing Card Coordinator.
- Purchases - $1,500 per single transaction, $7,000 monthly limit
- Travel - $7,000 per single transaction, $7,000 monthly limit
- ATM - Only authorized for foreign and/or group (student) travel and must be pre-approved in writing by the appropriate Vice President.