No. 5-32     Rev. 02-01-14      Date: 3-15-78     



A. Per diem - a daily allowance for personal expenses while traveling for the University, i.e., meals, personal phone calls, etc.

B. Group - Two or more participants (i.e., an athletic team, club, etc.) Traveling on a WSU sanctioned trip.

C. Group Representative - a WSU employee who travels with, and is accountable for, the travel of a group.

D. Group Cash Disbursement Record - a form used to document cash given to individual group travelers in lieu of per diem.


PPM 4-10, Field Trips
PPM 4-11, Study Abroad Programs
PPM 5-11, Reimbursement for Petty Cash Purchases
PPM 5-25a, University Procurement/General
PPM 5-25i, Purchasing Cards
PPM 5-33, Vehicle Fleet


University travel is to be processed on a University Purchasing Card (P-card). This policy applies to travel by all employees or students where the costs of travel are charged against funds in the custody of Weber State University, including general funds, grants and contracts, gifts and endowments, student funds and auxiliary funds.

Any separate travel policies prepared to govern group travel must be approved by President's Council.

The economical expenditure of institutional monies should be of prime consideration by all travelers. Consideration should also be given to the efficient use of the traveler's time.

It is the intent of this policy that the institution should pay for the necessary costs incurred by the traveler while traveling on University business. Except for per diem, the institution will not pay for costs of a personal nature. For business expenditures, the institution will not pay more than actual costs incurred and will not pay for costs reimbursed from any other source.

The immediate supervisor of the traveler is responsible for approving and reviewing all travel for compliance with this policy and appropriateness of the items claimed.

The president, provost or a vice president may authorize exceptions in writing to any specific provision of this policy, including the rates in Schedule I.


The following kinds of expenses are authorized to be paid by the University for approved travel:

A. Transportation Costs

1. Air Fare, Rail Fare or Bus Fare

The institution will pay up to coach rate. Where possible, air- fare reservations should be obtained at least fourteen (14) days in advance to obtain the least cost air fares. Additional savings may be realized by adjusting travel plans such as staying over Saturday night or traveling on weekdays. In such cases, additional lodging and per diem would be allowed.  However, to qualify for additional days and/or per diem the justification showing the cost difference must be documented and signed by the traveler's supervisor prior to traveling.

Travel agencies operating under state contracts usually offer best value, and the Purchasing Department should be contacted for state contract provisions and other cost saving information.

The unused portion of the ticket/voucher (in case of an electronic ticket) or confirmation (purchase via the Internet) must be kept for documentation.

2. Private Vehicle

Although travel by private vehicle is discouraged because of increased travel time, the traveler may use a private vehicle instead of an airline for University travel. The institution will pay for the transportation costs by private vehicle subject to the following conditions:

a. The total cost of using the private vehicle, including mileage and costs incurred enroute (such as meals, lodging, tolls, etc.) and parking
fees at the destination, cannot exceed the state contract airfare to that destination.

(1) The mileage cost is calculated using the approved mileage rate and highway mileage from the Rand McNally Road Atlas tables for the most direct route from Ogden to the destination. In cases where reimbursement for the actual miles driven is approved, beginning and ending odometer readings must be included with the claim.

(2) The lowest available airfare determines the maximum payment for use of the private vehicle and may not exceed state contract airfare.

(3) If a destination is not served by a scheduled airline, the institution will pay for use of private vehicle using mileage from the Rand McNally Road Atlas or actual mileage.  

b. The additional time required for driving a personal or University vehicle rather than going by air must be considered by the supervisor in approving the use of a personal or University vehicle.

(1). The missed work time arising from such travel should be reviewed by the supervisor to determine if vacation time should be taken.

(2). The missed work time must not interfere with employees' accomplishing their teaching and/or other responsibilities.

(3). No overtime nor compensatory time shall result from the time spent driving a personal or University vehicle.

c. Employees traveling to the same destination for a common set of meetings are encouraged to reduce total cost to the institution by traveling together where feasible. If two or more employees travel together in the same vehicle, the mileage cost for that vehicle plus the total cost of lodging, meals, etc. for the group cannot exceed the total of the lowest available airfare cost for the group.

3. University Vehicles

The institution will pay the cost of using a University-owned vehicle. (See PPM 5-33, Vehicle Fleet and Schedule I of this policy)

B. Lodging

The institution will cover actual cost of the traveler's lodging for the period of the authorized event as documented by a copy of the agenda plus any additional time required to achieve an overall savings from special airfares.

Lodging costs at a destination within 50 miles of Ogden must be approved by the provost or appropriate vice president.

C. Per Diem

The institution will provide a per diem only when an overnight stay is required. (See Schedule I)

D. Rental Cars

The institution will pay reasonable and necessary costs of a rental vehicle at the destination when such a vehicle is authorized.

Insurance coverage on car rentals is as follows:

1. Collision Damage Waiver is covered by State Risk Management when using state contracts for rental agencies and should not be added to car rental agreements.  The University Purchasing Card provides for a limited amount of collision damage coverage.

2. Personal Liability is covered by State Risk Management and should not be added to car rental agreements.

3. Personal Effects is covered as a secondary coverage when using the University Purchasing Card and should not be added to car rental agreements.

Specific questions on insurance coverage should be addressed to the Assistant VP for Support and Auxiliary Services.

For information concerning rental cars in foreign countries, please call the Purchasing Department.

E. Miscellaneous Charges

The institution will pay for the following types of expenses:

1. Travel to and from airport and Ogden or traveler's home (whichever is the least distance)

2. Ground transportation for University business at destination, including bus, taxi, etc 

3. Cost of parking, tolls, etc.

4. An accumulative total in miscellaneous business expenses can be claimed without supporting receipts. (See Schedule I)

The institution will not pay fines for parking or traffic citations.


A. All Employee Travel

1. Before departure, complete the authorization part of the WSU Travel Log and get required approval(s). Make necessary travel reservations well in advance for transportation and lodging using the purchasing card, i.e., airfare, lodging, etc.

2. Within ten working days after return, complete the WSU Travel Log, reconcile expenses, sign and obtain supervisor approval.

3. If a reimbursement is expected, take WSU Travel Log to Cashier's Office where log will be stamped "PAID" and reimbursement will be made.

4. If traveler needs to reimburse the University, make payment to the Cashier's Office.  Obtain receipt and file receipt with WSU Travel Log.

5. WSU Travel Log is to be approved by department P-Card Reconciler after reconciled against monthly statement and filed in department per the "Weber State University Purchasing Card User's Guide".

B. Mileage Only Reimbursement

1. When travel only requires mileage reimbursement and is within the Petty Cash limit, a Petty Cash Voucher should be used. (See PPM 5-11, Reimbursement for Petty Cash Purchases)

2. A series of small claims may be accumulated on a log and submitted as a group at least by the end of each semester. If the total amount exceeds the petty cash limit, submit log with a "Mileage Reimbursement" form.

C. Non-Employee Travel

In those instances where departments are paying for travel for non-employees, submit the request on a purchase requisition. Receipts will be required to reimburse the individuals.

D. Athletic and Group Travel

1. Per diem, as defined in this policy, will not be used for any member of the group including coaches and advisors, etc., involved in group travel.

2. A Group Representative, a WSU employee who travels with and is accountable for the travel of a group, has the following responsibilities:

a. Before departure: completes Part I of the WSU Travel Log (including the Estimated Expenses portion when requested) and gets required approval(s).  Makes necessary travel reservations well in advance for transportation, lodging, etc.

b. During travel: maintains all travel-related receipts. Uses the Group Cash Disbursement Record to document cash given to individual group travelers in lieu of per diem.

c. Within ten days after return: completes the WSU Travel Log, reconciles expenses, signs and obtains supervisor approval.

d. If a reimbursement is due the Group Representative: takes the WSU Travel Log to the Cashier's Office where the log will be stamped "PAID" and reimbursement will be made.

e. If the Group Representative needs to reimburse the University: makes payment to the Cashier's Office. Obtain receipt and files receipt with the
WSU Travel Log.

3. The WSU Travel Log must be approved by the department P-Card Reconciler and reconciled against the monthly P-Card statement. The log must then be filed in the department per the "Weber State University Purchasing Card User's Guide."

4. If the Group Representative is not available to travel with the group: the designated volunteer must use personal funds. No reimbursements will be made until the trip has been completed. Reimbursements will be made by Purchase Requisition (PR).
All receipts must be attached to the PR.

E. Travel on Grants or Contracts

Travel to be paid from funds received as a grant or contract from a non-WSU agency is subject to the provisions of this policy, unless the funding agency imposes provisions more restrictive than those in this policy.

F. Changes in Mileage Rates and Per Diem Rates

Changes in these rates or other items requiring periodic update are not considered as a change in policy and will be added as an addendum to this policy. Standard rates listed in Schedule I are the maximum rates. Supervisors may establish lower rates. Schedule I will be reviewed annually for needed changes in mileage rates, lodging rates and per diem rates.

Rates for Reimbursement

A. Private Vehicle Reimbursement

1.  $.38/mile. The total cost of using the private vehicle, including mileage and costs incurred enroute (such as meals, lodging, tolls, etc.) and parking fees at the destination, cannot exceed the lowest available airfare to that destination.

2.  A list of "standard mileage" for commonly traveled to locations from the WSU Ogden campus is located on the Purchasing & Support Services website.  Unless actual odometer readings are used, all other distances will be determined by using standard highway mileage charts and current road maps.

B. Hotel/Motel Rates

Reimbursement will be made at actual cost per lodging receipts submitted.

C. Per Diem:  Supervisor's approval indicates he/she has reviewed and per diem claimed is accurate.

1.  How to determine:

a.  If flying and claiming mileage to airport, per diem begins with SLC departing flight time and ends with flight arrival time back in SLC.

b.  If traveler is driving their own vehicle and claims mileage, per diem begins when they arrive at their destination and ends when they leave the destination to return.

c.  If the traveler drives a motor pool vehicle, per diem begins when they leave on their trip and ends upon their return.

d.  If the circumstances do not meet any of the above, contact the Purchasing Office.

2.  Per Diem Rate

$40/day to cover incidental personal expenses, i.e., meals, personal calls, dry cleaning, etc., on travel requiring over night stay.

Partial per diem is allowed as follows:

Leave between 12:01 a.m. and 10:00 a.m. Leave between 10:01 a.m. and 4:00 p.m. Leave between 4:01 p.m. and 12:00 midnight
$40 $30 $21
 Interim Full Days    
Return between 12:01 a.m. and 10:00 a.m. Return between 10:01 a.m. and 4:00 p.m. Return between 4:01 p.m. and 12:00 midnight
$10 $21 $40

3.  ATM Usage for Per Diem Expenses

ATM usage is available for foreign travel for per diem expenses and/or group travel for per diem or meal expenses.  This requires pre-authorization from your supervisor and the appropriate vice president.

D. Miscellaneous Expenses:

An accumulative total of $20.00 in itemized miscellaneous expenses can be claimed without supporting receipts.

Weber State UniversityOgden, Utah 84408

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseNondiscrimination Policy