|No. 5-25j||Rev. 10-12-04||Date: 04-13-04|
To provide guidelines regarding the purchase of awards, expressions of sympathy, food, gifts and flowers with institutional funding.
A. Institutional Funding
Any and all monies processed through the University financial system.
B. Non-E&G Funding
Any institutional funding other than state tax funds and state appropriated tuition and fees.
C. Agency Funds
Any funds held in trust for a third party where the University acts as custodian, i.e. conference sponsorships, faculty/staff association, office benevolent funds.
D. Immediate Family Member
For the purpose of this policy, immediate family member is defined as a parent, spouse or child of the employee or the employee's spouse (step-relatives in these categories are included).
A. The following are prohibited from being purchased with institutional funding:
1. Food items, meals, flowers and like items associated with the celebration of employee life events such as birthdays, graduations, baby showers and like activities except as outlined in Sections B, C and D below.
2. Gifts, prizes and awards for employees except as outlined in Sections B, C and D below.
3. Expression of sympathy for employees or employee family members except as outlined in Sections B, C and D below.
B. The following may be purchased with institutional funding under the conditions described here:
1. Food items or gifts associated with formal employee retirement activities.
2. Business meals and like food items appropriate for conducting university business. Such meals or items are to be documented by a receipt, list of participants, meeting purpose, and are subject to supervisory approval.
C. The following may be purchased with non-E&G funding under the conditions described here:
1. Food items, gifts, prizes and awards for employees when associated with formal institutional/divisional functions. Examples of formal institutional/divisional functions include outstanding performance programs, general employee appreciation programs or events, or like activities that are administered or coordinated at the institution or division level.
2. Expression of sympathy associated with the death or serious illness of an employee or an employee's immediate family member. Expressions of sympathy include floral arrangements, sympathy cards, and similar items.
3. Awards, expressions of sympathy, gifts, flowers and like items for non-university employees appropriate for conducting university business. Such items are to be documented by a receipt, list of recipients, and are subject to supervisory approval.
4. Office seasonal decorations.
D. Purchases made with agency funds are restricted only to the extent that they are used for the purpose designated by the third party.