|No. 1-5b||Rev. 6-7-88||Date 1-16-80|
General Policies of the Utah State Board of Regents
In the event of a need to fill a vacancy, or to create a new vice president position, the following procedure will be followed:
A. The president may appoint, within his/her broad powers and authority, a provost or vice president upon the approval of the Board of Trustees.
B. The president may direct the appointment of a screening committee to assist him/her in the appointment of a provost or vice president.
1. A screening committee appointed by the president shall include representation from the Board of Trustees, administration, alumni, faculty, staff and students.
2. At the discretion of the Board of Trustees, one of its members may be appointed to the screening committee, nominated by the chair and with the approval of the Board.
3. It shall be the responsibility of the president to provide the screening committee a job description as well as such qualifications or criteria necessary for candidates to be eligible for consideration.
4. It shall be the responsibility of the president to determine the extent of advertising (on-campus, in-state, regional or national) as related to equal opportunity guidelines.
5. The screening committee shall recommend to the president a minimum of three candidates for consideration. Should the committee desire to recommend fewer than three candidates, such action must receive prior approval of the president.
6. Final candidates will be interviewed by the president and will be interviewed by the Board of Trustees, if it so elects.
7. In the event that the president and/or the Board of Trustees are not satisfied with the recommendations of the screening committee, the screening committee may be asked to reconsider its recommendations or to reopen the search.
8. The president shall appoint and hire with the approval of the Board of Trustees.
C. A provost or vice president who does not hold academic rank and tenure at Weber State University may be awarded academic rank and faculty tenure pursuant to established procedures of the institution.