BACHELOR'S DEGREE (BS or BA)
BACHELOR'S DEGREE (BA)
- » Program Prerequisite: Not required.
- » Minor: Required
» Grade Requirements: A grade of "C" or better in courses counted toward fulfilling the major (a grade of "C-" is not acceptable) and an overall GPA of 2.00.
» Credit Hour Requirements: A total of 120 credit hours is required for graduation; 40 upper division credit hours are required (courses numbered 3000 and above). Philosophy majors are required to take 36 credit hours within the major. A minimum of 27 upper division hours are required within the major.
All Philosophy students are required to meet with a faculty advisor at least annually for course and program advisement. Call 801-626-6694 for more information or to schedule an appointment.
Declare your program of study. There are no special admission or application requirements.
Core and General Education
Refer to General Requirements for Bachelor of Arts requirements. See Language Courses Required to fulfill the BA listed under the major course requirements. PHIL DV3550 will fulfill the University diversity requirement. One of the following courses may be used to fulfill both general education (humanities) and program requirements: PHIL HU1000, PHIL HU1250, PHIL HU1120.
Students majoring or minoring in Philosophy who transfer from another institution and who intend to graduate from WSU will be required to take, in the case of the minor, at least one class in PHIL, and in the case of the major, at least two classes in PHIL, including Senior Seminar.
Major Course Requirements for BA Degree
Core Courses Required (9 credit hours)
- PHIL HU1000 Introduction to Philosophy (3)
- PHIL HU1250 Critical Thinking (3)
or PHIL QL2200 Deductive Logic (3)
- PHIL 4900 Senior Capstone Seminar (3)
Electives (27 credit hours minimum)Select a minimum of 27 credit hours from the following list, of which at least 24 must be upper division, including one of either PHIL 3010 or 3020, one of either PHIL 3600 or 3650, and one of either PHIL 4510 or 4520.
- PHIL HU1120 Contemporary Moral Problems (3)
- PHIL 2920 Short Courses, Workshops, Institutes and Special Programs (1-3)
- PHIL 3010 History of Philosophy: Classical & Medieval (3)
- PHIL 3020 History of Philosophy: Modern (3)
- PHIL 3100 Philosophy of Language (3)
- PHIL 3150 Existentialism (3)
- PHIL 3200 Philosophy of Democracy (3)
- PHIL 3300 Great Issues in Philosophy (3)
- PHIL 3350 Medical Ethics (3)
- PHIL 3400 Great Thinkers of Philosophy (3)
- PHIL 3500 Philosophy of Western Religion (3)
- PHIL DV3550 Philosophy of Eastern Religion (3)
- PHIL 3600 Ethical Theory (3)
- PHIL 3650 Aesthetics (3)
- PHIL 4250 Philosophy of Law (3)
- PHIL 4510 Metaphysics (3)
- PHIL 4520 Epistemology (3)
- PHIL 4830 Directed Readings (1-2)
- PHIL 4920 Short Courses, Workshops, Institutes and Special Programs (1-3)
Students completing a BA in philosophy must complete 6 hours of foreign language courses or demonstrate equivalent competency. Students must also complete 6 hours of language arts, which are automatically satisfied by completing the philosophy course requirements.
Weber State University 2011-2012 Catalog