Center for Multicultural Excellence Mission
To support students through graduation by providing multicultural relevant learning opportunities that enhance academic achievement, personal development and multicultural competence.
Developing engaged leaders that strive for excellence in a multicultural society.
- Academic Success - students will attain a college degree, will grow and develop as a learner, will learn to use resources available to them, will be able to be a contributing member of society
- Growth and development
- Accountability - students will take ownership of their education, success and experience; give their/our best; say what we/students say we/they will do; transparency in communication and in processes; stay focused on our mission
- Leadership - we will set a good example for students to learn to lead and serve their communities; leads to positive change for our/themselves and the world; represent our/their constituents; through leadership, we encourage students to lead projects to make changes and take initiative; innovation
- Success in life
- Meeting students where they are
- Engagement - the key to success; (from engagement rubric) participation, feedback, personal reflection, personal commitment, application of knowledge
- Student Effort
- Multicultural Excellence - as the Center for Multicultural excellence our vision is to develop engaged leaders to strive for excellence in a multicultural society; bridge gaps between people and perspectives; gain better understanding of self (identity) and others to work with respect in ways that all voices are heard; encourage the success of all students, especially underserved students; strength lies in our differences
- Cultural differences
- Stewardship (time and money, resources)
Goals of the Center for Multicultural Excellence support the Division of Student Affairs' goals and align with the Council for the Advancement of Standards in Higher Education - CAS Standards and Guidelines: Minority Student Programs.
- Assess and prioritize the needs of students.
- Assist students to determine academic skills.
- Establish education goals.
- Orient students to the culture of the university
- Provide support services to assist students
- Help students refine academic skills
- Promote their holistic development through a variety of ways
- by participation in clubs and organizations
- involvement in community service projects
- assistance in academic performance when needed
- recognition for academic excellence
- providing plenty of social activities throughout the semesters for all of the groups and the unit as a whole.
- Promote leadership opportunities for students through partnership with other campus entities. Identify potential mentors and encourage participation with role models.
- Provide educational opportunities to the campus community that promote cultural awareness and sensitivity and encourage cultural competency.