Admission & Selection
The Medical Laboratory Sciences Online AAS Program offers individuals who are currently employed in a medical laboratory an opportunity to complete an Associate of Applied Science degree in Medical Laboratory Sciences within your own clinical setting, utilizing a variety of online instructional approaches.
To qualify for the online MLT Program, you must meet the following criteria:
- You must be currently employed by or have access to an accredited (JACHO/CAP/COLA/CLIA) laboratory that can provide a multidisciplinary laboratory experience. This is an important aspect of your acceptance criteria, because of the support that is required by your employer. Prior to your acceptance to the MLS program, your employer must read and sign a Statement of Support. Students of the AAS program will need support in all of the following areas of the laboratory:
- Microbiology (including plate reading)
- Blood Bank
- You must have access to a computer and the Internet (preferably high speed access). WSU Online is the program through which you will be provided course material, interaction with the course instructor and fellow students, receive up-to-date event calendars, and submit assignments. Most university computer labs and libraries will allow you to access the Internet if you do not have access at home. The WSU MLS Program utilizes Microsoft Office for all word-processing, spreadsheet and database needs. (If needed, you can purchase Microsoft Office Suite with an academic discount through WSU).
- If you are an international student, it has proven difficult to meet the MLS acceptance criteria. The lab you are employed in must meet U.S. criteria for accreditation and this has been difficult to ascertain with foreign agencies. Also, educational requirements vary greatly from country to country. Your prior education must be evaluated by an independent foreign crediting agency before you apply to the MLS program. For more information from WSU please refer to International Students.
It is critical that all parts of your application process be completed and all required items submitted. Incomplete applications will not be considered. Please follow the instructions and download the application forms from our Application & Checklist page.
There are two application deadlines: September 1 for spring semester and February 1 for summer or fall semester. When your application is received, you will be sent a letter in the mail from your MLS academic advisor, indicating that all the components of your application have been received -- and if they have not, which items are missing. If your application is incomplete after the deadline, it will not be reviewed until the next application period.
AAS Acceptance Criteria
- Acceptance to WSU for general admissions.
- This includes a $30 application fee and you must submit all previous college transcripts, or high school transcripts.
- Applicants must be living/working in a state that WSU is authorized to offer online education. Please check the following link for an up-to-date list of states WSU is not authorized in. http://departments.weber.edu/ce/distancelearning/DegreesPrograms.aspx
- Minimum overall GPA of 2.5
- Due to how rigorous the program is, we require at least 20 successfully completed college credits
- If you have no prior college credits, please contact Christy Achter at email@example.com or 801-626-6874 for advisement.
- Successful completion of English requirements (English 1010 and English 2010)
- Successful completion of at least three of the AAS Support Courses.
- Completed MLS Online Program Application, Statement of Support and $95 MLS application fee.
- A completed affiliated agreement with WSU and your site for support.
- The agreement is a legal document between your clinical site and the WSU Department of Medical Laboratory Sciences, stating that the facility agrees to provide the laboratory instruction required to complete each MLS course in the AAS program. This process will be initiated by an MLS Online Program Coordinator once we receive your application and statement of support for the program.
Applicants can expect to receive a letter with the selection results 8-12 weeks after applying to the MLS online program.
Once you have been accepted into the AAS online program, you will be required to:
- Sign and return your acceptance paperwork (these will be included in your acceptance packet)
- Depending on the site you found for support, you may be required to complete a criminal background check, drug screen, and provide proof of your immunizations (note, if you have already completed these requirements as part of your employment with your laboratory, it is possible that you may not be required to repeat the background check and drug screen)
Weber State University does not discriminate on the basis of ethnicity, religion, gender, national origin, age, marital, veteran or disability.
|ASSOCIATE OF APPLIED SCIENCE PROGRAM DETAILS|
Textbooks & Course Materials
|Request More MLS Information
Statement of Support