Enrollment in the on-campus WSU medical laboratory science BS degree program is limited to 35 students each fall semester. Applications for the program are available from the MLS secretary after January 1, (Room 208 in the Marriott Health building), or the application can be emailed or faxed to you. To reach the department secretary, call 801-626-6118.
- If you have been previously accepted into the MLS program and you have not taken MLS classes for one or more years, you are required to reapply to the program, due to the limited number of student positions available.
- If you have completed your MLS AAS degree on campus at WSU and are considering switching to the MLS BS online program, to be eligible you are required to have at least three years clinical laboratory experience working as a MLT, or you have moved out of the state of Utah. To inquire if you are eligible, call the MLS online coordinator at 801-626-8546.
A non-refundable $25 application fee is required and must be received with the application no later than April 1.
All MLS applicants are required to:
- Complete an MLT program either at WSU or another instution. Transfer students must have an MLT certification.**
- Meet with a MLS faculty advisor prior to application. This is especially important if you are transferring from another institution. To schedule an advising appointment, please call the MLS department secretary at 801-626-6118.
- Apply to WSU if you are not currently a WSU student. This must be done a minimum of one month prior to your application to the MLS program. An online application to WSU is available and all transcripts of previous college courses must be submitted.
- Verify your major declaration. To do this, log in to your weber account and click on the student services tab. In the academic profile box, you will see information regarding your program, major, and department. If you are not listed in the MLS program, please contact the MLS department secretary in MH, Room 208 (801-626-6118).
- Submit your MLS application to the Marriott Health Sciences Admission Office, Room 108, no later than April 1 with a $25 non-refundable application fee.
- A federal background check and drug screen will be required after acceptance to the program.
*Complete all lower division MLS AAS courses with a grade of "B-" or better and all required MLS AAS support courses with a grade of "C-" or better prior to starting the MLS program fall semester. A minimum GPA of 2.00 is required.
**All transfer students applying to the MLS program must demonstrate MLT equivalency by providing evidence of having MLT national certification and an associate's degree in Medical Laboratory Sciences/Medical Technology or equivalent. Transfer students demonstrating MLT equivalency will still be required to fulfill all requirements of the WSU MLS program for graduation (i.e., chemistry, microbiology and other support courses transferred for credit must be equivalent to the WSU-required support courses). Additionally, grades received in MLT courses at other institutions must be equivalent to grades expected of WSU MLS students.
Student selections are made once each year during the month of May for admission to the program for the following fall semester. Your application must be submitted by April 1 to be included in the selection process. Applications are evaluated using the MLS Selection Form which is based on the following criteria:
- Grade point average in MLS AAS courses (50 percent)
- Cumulative Grade point average (20 percent)
- Faculty assessment of prior student performance (30 percent), including:
- MLS AAS courses repeated
- retake exams in MLS AAS courses
- affective skills
You will receive a letter stating selection results by approximately the first of June.
Weber State University does not discriminate on the basis of ethnicity, religion, gender, national origin, age, marital, veteran or disability status.