AAS Application & Selection
Enrollment in the on-campus WSU medical laboratory science AAS degree program is limited to 32 students each fall semester. Applications for the program are available from the MLS secretary after January 1, (Room 208 in the Marriott Health building), or the application can be emailed or faxed to you. To reach the department secretary, call 801-626-6118.
- If you have been previously accepted into the MLT program and you have not taken MLS classes for one or more years, you are required to reapply to the program, due to the limited number of student positions available.
- Also, if you are repeating any MLS classes, you must reapply to the program, again, due to the limited number of student positions available.
A non-refundable $25 application fee is required and must be received with the application no later than April 1.
All MLS applicants are required to:
- Meet with a MLS faculty advisor prior to application. This is especially important if you are transferring from another institution. To schedule an advising appointment, please call the MLS department secretary at 801-626-6118.
- Apply to WSU if you are not currently a WSU student. This must be done a minimum of one month prior to your application to the MLT program. An online application to WSU is available and all transcripts of previous college courses must be submitted.
- Verify your major. To do this, log into your Weber account and click on the student services tab. In the academic profile box, you will see information regarding your program, major, and department. If you are not listed in the MLS program, please contact the MLS department secretary in MH, Room 208 (801-626-6118).
- Submit your MLS application to the Marriott Health Sciences Admission Office, Room 108, no later than April 1 with a $25 non-refundable application fee.
- After being accepted into the MLT program you will need to complete a federal background check and drug screen.
Selections are made once each year during the month of May for admission to the program the following fall semester. Your application must be submitted by April 1 to be included in the selection process. Applications are evaluated using the MLT Selection Form which is based on the following criteria:
- MLS GPA, which includes required MLT and support courses (34 percent)
- Average GPA of accepted applicants is 3.5.
- Cumulative college grade point average (16 percent)
- Faculty assessment of prior student performance (16 percent), including:
- overall laboratory skills
- retake exams in MLT courses
- affective skills
You will receive a letter stating selection results by approximately the first of June.
Weber State University does not discriminate on the basis of ethnicity, religion, gender, national origin, age, marital, veteran or disability status.