English as a Second Language
The ability to communicate verbally and in written form is basic to the provision of health care services in a safe and effective manner. Therefore, any student for whom English is not their native language is required to submit documentation that they meet one of the following criteria:
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL)*
- Internet-based TOEFL exam score of 83 with a 26 or higher on the speaking portion
- Paper-based TOEFL exam score of 570 with a TSE-A score of 50**
- Computer-based TOEFL exam score of 220.
- International English Language Testing System (IELTS)* exam score of 6.5
- Accuplacer score above 90, if Accuplacer score is below 90 student must complete the LEAP program AND English 1010 with a grade of “C” or above
- Submit proof of earning a degree from a regionally accredited U.S. college or university at which English is the language of instruction. If this is not received, the TOEFL or IELTS score will be required.
*TOEFL or IELTS scores must be less than 2 years old. Arrangements and costs incurred for the TOEFL or IELTS will be the responsibility of the student. Original TOEFL or IELTS scores should be sent in with the program application. Weber State University’s TOEFL code is 4941. (A report copy will only be accepted if it is made and signed by a notary public who authenticates the photocopy from the original document)
**Students taking the paper-based TOEFL (PBT) exam must also take the TSE-A (Test of Spoken English-Academic)