HPHP Wellness Coaching Interest Area
Wellness Coaching is an emerging profession that has roots in applied behavioral science and adult development, and more recently has embraced positive psychology. Behavioral scientists have shown that one-on-one coaching is among the most effective approaches to helping people make and sustain improvements in their lives.
The relationship between a coach and client offers a profound level of support, guidance, and encouragement to making changes, without being judgmental. A coach enables change by focusing on a client's stated needs, values, vision, and goals and helping to bring out his/her personal best. (Source: International Coaching Federation (ICF) website).
- Develop International Coaching Federation (ICF) core coaching competencies.
- Practice and refine wellness coaching skills using best practice standards incorporating evidence-based research.
- Prepare for the Wellcoaches/ACSM® course and certification
- Increase marketable skill sets and competitive edge to meet workplace demands.
- Health 2400 - Mind/Body Wellness
- Health 3200 - Methods in Health Promotion
- Be in either the Health Promotion or Human Performance program in HPHP (for exceptions, talk with Dr. Olpin)
Wellness coaching is designed for you to be involved in it for two semesters. During the first semester, you'll complete a 2-hour face-to-face classroom instruction that teaches you the art and science of wellness coaching along with ongoing in-class practice. During the second semester, you will complete the practicum portion of the class by working with individuals doing coaching according to the processes you learned during the first semester.
Contact Dr. Michael Olpin or Hanalee Hawkins for more information.