Message from the Dean
Welcome to the John B. Goddard School of Business & Economics.
We’re a unique business school offering students a small-college experience with all of the amenities of a large university environment. Our faculty includes an ideal blend of academics and business practitioners. Together they ensure that graduates have both the theoretical basis and the practical know-how to succeed in the business world. Students enjoy the extraordinary interactions they have with faculty members — Weber State University’s student/faculty ratio is 21:1. Our faculty know our students’ names and ambitions. You won’t find that at many major public universities anymore.
To supplement our classroom experience, we offer students the opportunity to participate in learning experiences that can truly be life-changing.
Let me give you a few examples from our undergraduate programs:
- Our Jerry and Vickie Moyes Center for Supply Chain Excellence was named for the founder of Swift Transportation, the largest trucking company in the United States. With Jerry and Vickie’s financial support, supply chain management students work on real company projects under faculty supervision, participate in competitions across the United States, and get high-profile jobs in top companies like Toyota. We’re striving to earn a top-10 national ranking for this program.
- Business Administration majors may spend two years at WSU, then go to England, France, Germany or Spain for their final two years. Students study in two languages (except in England) and complete four-to- six-month internships abroad and earn bachelor’s degrees from both WSU and the partner university! Few U.S. business schools offer undergraduate double degrees like these.
- Students from all majors can study abroad for 10 days, a month, a semester or a year at our partner universities, and the Goddard School has scholarships to make it affordable.
- Economics students complete in-depth individual research projects in their capstone courses, giving them the chance to design and carry out a full-fledged research study working one-on-one with a professor. There is no better preparation for graduate study in economics, law school or business analysis.
- Entrepreneurship students learn how to start businesses and then actually start them. Many students earn $1,000-$15,000 to help their businesses grow. Even students outside the entrepreneurship program can earn $1,000 for having a great business idea.
We also offer distinctive, high-quality graduate programs:
- Our MBA has been ranked by The Princeton Review as one of the country’s “Best MBA Programs” since 2008.
- We offer the only Master of Taxation program in Utah and one of just a few in the western United States. In summer 2016, we were ranked as the #16 Master of Taxation program in the nation.
- Students from our Master of Accounting program work at top accounting firms and in other businesses across the Wasatch Front.
In short, there is an opportunity to have a special educational experience for every Goddard School student.
Of course, our faculty are also deeply engaged in learning about the business world of the 21st century. They serve as consultants or on advisory boards for firms. They publish their research, demonstrating the respect that their work has from colleagues within their disciplines worldwide. But, unlike many big-name universities, our faculty take the next step, bringing that cutting-edge knowledge back into their classrooms instead of having graduate students teaching.
If that doesn’t convince you to consider joining the Goddard School students at Weber State University, then perhaps a view of our beautiful campus will. The university’s main campus sits at the base of a mountain. Snowbasin Resort, site of the downhill and super G competitions in the 2002 Olympics, sits at its summit. Half an hour after finishing classes, you can be skiing. It takes even less time to head up the hiking trails that start at the top of the campus.
I’d love to share more about Weber State University and the Goddard School experience with you.