About Diversity & Inclusive Programs
At Weber State University’s Center for Diversity & Unity, we are committed to providing access, building community, and educating each other about diversity issues while creating a learning environment that values inclusion, cultural competence, and intercultural sensitivity for all students, staff, and faculty. We are committed to the pursuit of learning from and with a diverse group that sometimes reflects who we are and sometimes does not in order to affirm the dignity of all people.
To build community and achieve excellence, we collaborate with students, staff, faculty, departments and community members to:
- Celebrate our cultures, histories, identities and values as we learn about and from one another.
- Challenge individuals, groups, policies, and procedures that hinder members of our community from feeling valued, safe, and included at WSU.
- Promote cross cultural educational opportunities on campus to facilitate learning and understanding of "otherness."
- Provide opportunities that emphasizes self-awareness and engagement so that we will grow as individuals and as friends.
- Support existing policies that affirm diversity, inclusion, and cultural competence as an integral part of high-quality and sustainable education.
- Champion new policies that demonstrate our commitment to creating a welcoming campus climate for members of the wildcat community.
- Have the difficult conversations that must happen if we are to develop trust together.
The Center for Diversity & Unity was created in the 1990s, following student activism and a task force that recommended that the College’s commitment to diversity be made more public and visible. It was determined that a formal office was necessary if the college was to have a centralized, constant, and authoritative voice for diversity concerns.
The Center moved to its present location in the Shepherd Union Building, suite 232 in 2008.