Cottages of Hope
Cottages of Hope, established in January 2008, serves to address a critical lack of frontline (basic need) services to economic independence and financial stability in the Ogden area. By providing a means for individuals to become financially literate, Cottages of Hope gives people the tools to lift themselves out of poverty for the long-term. The following objectives guide the program:
- Provide ongoing support to households until financial stability is achieved.
- Bridge the gap from frontline services to higher learning.
- Bridge the gap from frontline services to employability and upwardly mobile employment.
- Offer programs teaching individual/family economics and financial stability.
- Strengthen frontline activities to increase income and asset growth.
Some of the services Cottages of Hope provides include:
- Computer lab at no cost to clients for job search and online application (the Prosperity Center)
- Resume preparation
- Education and training referral, research and assistance
- Career counseling
- Small business development assistance
- Financial literacy and debt management classes
- Financial coaching
- People Helping People (an employment program that focuses primarily on helping women find stable employment)
How to Get Involved with Cottages of Hope
Become a Prosperity Center Computer Lab Greeter
In this position, WSU student volunteers welcome clients and ensure proper sign-in, answer telephones and direct calls, assist clients with research, and monitor computer usages. This is an easy way to do some service, and you would be making a difference for the clients in helping them find needed resources to escape poverty.
Assist clients to find jobs and improve their skills
WSU students help clients with any needed computer skills and help them set up email accounts and access online banking. They assist clients with job searching and writing resumes, interviewing skills, improving typing skills, and other services provided at Cottages of Hope. As a Prosperity Center Computer Lab Assistant, you would be helping clients to improve their skills so they can be more successful in finding a job.
Become a VITA Tax Volunteer
Cottages of Hope is a VITA Tax Preparation site. This means that low income individuals can have their taxes prepared for free by qualified individuals. Volunteers interested in becoming certified tax preparers can get involved starting around the month of November and lasting through tax season (April). This is a great opportunity for students in finance, accounting, and taxation majors. Qualifying students are also welcome to have their taxes prepared at this site.
Work Part-time in Work-Study
The Work-Study program is a Federal program hosted by WSU to help qualifying students work to help pay for their education. Participants become employees of the non-profit and work regular hours as a part-time job. For many students this is a great fit, allowing them to get involved with non-profits while earning a competitive wage. Cottages of Hope takes work-study students and can place them in meaningful positions within their organization.
If you’re interested in helping out, please do the following:
- CLICK HERE to download an application
- Fill out the application using Microsoft Word and save it as “YourNameApplication.doc”
- Attach the completed application in an Email.
- Write us a message
- Please give your name, e-mail and phone number
- Email it to: email@example.com
Cottages of Hope
2724 Washington Boulevard
Ogden, UT 84401
The Center for Community Engaged Learning
2113 University Circle
Ogden, UT 84408-2113