AmeriCorps Education Awards
AmeriCorps provides thousands of Americans of all ages and backgrounds with education awards in exchange for community service.
Participating in the program allows you to apply your skills and ideals toward helping others and meeting critical needs in the community. In addition, full-time members who complete their service earn a Segal AmeriCorps Education Award to pay for college or graduate school, or to pay back qualified student loans
How does it work?
Students engage in service activities and report time and progress to a supervisor. The hours accumulate over the course of 12 months. At the end of service, students exit the program and receive the scholarship.
There are two scholarship amounts, each correlating to service terms:
2015 - 2016 Education Award Amounts
- 300 hours in one calendar year = $1,212
- 450 hours in one calendar year = $1,515
2016 - 2017 Education Award Amounts
- 300 hours in one calendar year = $1,221
- 450 hours in one calendar year = $1, 527
Am I eligible?
Eligible applicants must:
- Be a student at an institution of higher education in Utah
- Be 17 years of age or older
- Have a high school diploma or GED (or obtain one during the year of service)
- Be a U.S. Citizen or Resident Alien
How do I sign up?
- Prospective AmeriCorps Orientation - Members are required to take this orientation either in-person or online prior to enrollment. Check UCC’s event calendar to view all in-person and online orientations scheduled thus far. Prospective members must take a quiz at the end of each orientation and pass with a score of 80% or higher.
- Start Date – Depending on what day the member completes the orientation, the member will either be enrolled on the 1st of the month or the 15th of the month. These are the only two start dates members can be enrolled on. All of their enrollment forms must be completed on or before this date.
- National Sex Offender Public Registry Check or NSOPR(W) - Coordinators are required to run an NSOPW Check on all members names (maiden, married, and any aliases). This check must be dated, have all jurisdictions reported, specific language included, and be electronically signed with time and date stamp by coordinator.
- FBI Background Check - Members need to get their fingerprints taken by an authorized vendor so that we can run their FBI background check. Members will not be enrolled into the AmeriCorps Program until we receive confirmation from the member that they have had their fingerprints done, or they have scheduled a time to get their prints taken. This will be confirmed on the Enrollment Checklist.
(***If you are a returning AmeriCorps member who has already had their fingerprints taken, as long as you are re-enrolled within 120 days of your last day of service, you will not have to get your fingerprints taken again).
- Qualified Service Site and Contract - Members must have the site where they plan to complete their service complete a Qualified Site Contract. The Qualified Site Contract can be found on on this website.
- IPT Information Form - After the Prospective AmeriCorps orientation, members will be sent a link to complete a form. This will be their ticket to have access to IPT (where hours will be logged) and to obtaining access to their enrollment forms to be completed online.
- IPT Online Enrollment for Member - Members and coordinators will complete the “Enrollment and Eligibility” form and the “Member Service Agreement” form prior to the member’s start date.
For questions or more information, please contact CCEL at 801-626-7737 or firstname.lastname@example.org, or visit us in room 327 of the Shepherd Union Building.
AmeriCorps Education Award FAQ
Qualified Site Contract 16-17
WSU Capacity Building Focus Area Position Description 16-17
WSU Dental Hygiene Position Description 16-17
WSU Education 1 Position Description 16-17
WSU Education 2 Position Description 16-17
WSU Emergency Medical Care Position Description 16-17
WSU Social Work Position Description 16-17
AmeriCorps Program Orientation Dates:
Orientation times can be found online.