Student Involvement Positions
Fitness and Wellness Lead
The FW Lead assists the FW coordinator with operations and programming of the Fitness and Wellness Program. Leads may be assigned to group exercise programs or strength and cardio programs, or both. Duties for group exercise include knowledge of group exercise and the ability to teach at least one format of group exercise class. Duties for strength and cardio include basic knowledge of strength and cardio training and having worked a minimum of a year as a Strength & Cardio Supervisor. Both positions include managing risk, assisting with training/scheduling/supervising/evaluating staff, reviewing staff payroll, providing customer service to participants, researching and proposing equipment/programming needs, and other duties as assigned.
Personal Fitness Trainer
Personal Fitness Trainers (PFT) create and implement safe and effective exercise programs for apparently healthy adults. Duties include managing risk, remaining current on exercise science principles, and providing customer service to participants. PFTs must hold a nationally recognized PFT certification, and be American Red Cross certified in CPR/AED/First Aid.
Group Exercise Instructor
Group Exercise Instructors (GEI) choreograph and conduct safe, effective, and fun group exercise classes for apparently healthy adults. Duties include managing risk, remaining current on exercise science principles, and providing customer service to participants. GEIs must hold a nationally recognized group exercise certification, and be American Red Cross certified in CPR/AED/First Aid.
Strength & Cardio Supervisor
The Strength & Cardio Supervisor (SCS) is responsible for ensuring the safety of participants utilizing the strength and cardio areas at the Swenson/Stromberg Complex. The SCS serves as a resource for exercise options and basic fitness & wellness information. In addition, the SCS provides active supervision of the facility while assisting in daily cleaning duties. This position reports to the Fitness Coordinator.
Part time, must be available mornings, nights, and weekends
- American Red Cross CPR/AED and Standard First Aid certifications are required prior to working a shift
- (Offered through Campus Rec once employed).
- Candidate must possess excellent interpersonal communication and relational service skills
- Candidate possesses prior strength and cardio training experience (Academic Courses considered)
- PE 1080 (preferred)
- Candidate is able to pick up and carry 50 lbs.
- Related major field of study preferred
- Nationally recognized fitness certification preferred (i.e., ACE, NSCA, ACSM).
- Provide active supervision of patrons utilizing exercise equipment in Swenson/Stromberg Complex
- Lead strength & cardio equipment orientations as necessary or assigned by Fitness Coordinator
- Attend mandatory monthly meetings, orientations, and staff development workshops led by Fitness Coordinator
- Encourage participation in department programs, services, and special events
- Enforce all strength and cardio policies and rules.
- Provide spotting on strength training equipment as requested or needed
- Assist patrons in learning to adjust/setup cardio and strength equipment
- Maintain a professional, positive, friendly presence while on shift
- Assist with maintenance and cleanliness of all strength and cardio areas.
- Follow emergency care procedures in the event of an injury or emergency.
- Maintain current CPR and First Aid certifications (failure to do so can result in loss of employment).
- Read, understand and abide by all policies outlined in Strength & Cardio Supervisor Manual
- Lead tour groups through the facility describing all areas of programming
- Perform other duties as specified by the Fitness Coordinator