A.A.S. Degree - Automotive Service Technology
Still Accepting Applications
The A.A.S. Degree in Automotive Service Technology prepares graduates to be competent in the technical theory and application of the automobile and become immediately productive as an automotive technician. Individuals will have the opportunity for specific training and certification from various automotive manufacturers and service programs such as:
- General Motors Corporation
- Ford Motor Corporation
- Independent Shops
- Heavy-duty Truck Industry
Automotive Service Technology graduates will possess national certification, the ability to communicate and solve problems efficiently.
All A.A.S. degree students have three years to graduate using the requirements in their starting year's catalog. If longer than three years is required for graduation, a newer catalog must be used to determine the graduation requirements.
Our programs have been NATEF master certified since 1989.
Work ethics and work habits as a student are observed and used by your professor/advisor to make recommendations to potential employers who recruit at Weber State University. Students who read their syllabi, ask questions when they do not understand an assignment or a concept, are on time to class, turn in home work by the due date, are organized, motivated, etc. also make great employees; these are the students who get the best hiring recommendations from our faculty.
The following are attributes of a successful employee as defined by our National Advisory Committee. All Automotive Technology students are expected to behave as adults with:
- Integrity - Behaves with honor and dignity; does the right thing.
- Reliability - Sticks with it to get the job done
- Trustworthy and Honest - Holds self and others to highest standards
- Passion for Excellence Initiative - Thinks outside the box
- Innovation and Technical Excellence - Discovers better ideas and applies expertise
- Commitment to Quality - Applies a 6-Sigma mind set
- Courage - Fights to turn dreams into realities
- Community Commitment - Acts to enhance the community
Successful graduates/employees will also:
Possess a valid driver's license
Have a good driving record (no more than 1 moving violation if under 19 years of age)
Pass a background check
Pass a drug test
Students will be required to complete certain assessment instruments as part of the overall requirements for receiving their associate's degree. Please see the program coordinator or your advisor or your department for specific information regarding assessment.
National Institute for Automotive Service Excellence (ASE) Certification Requirement
- Automotive Service students (except Collision Repair and HD Truck) are required to take all eight automotive ASE exams (A1, A2, A3, A4, A5, A6, A7, and A8).
- Collision repair students must take five ASE collision repair and refinish exams (B2, B3, B4, B5, and B6).
- HD Truck students are required to take all eight Medium/Heavy Duty Truck ASE exams (T1, T2, T3, T4, T5, T6, T7, and T8).
See www.ase.com/tests.aspx for testing information. ASE exam fees are included in the student fees for each course. Exams will be taken twice per year at the end of each semester.
New students will be also required to obtain certain industry certifications as part of the overall requirements for receiving their associate's degree. Certification assessments include:
- EPA clean air act amendment of 1990 (Section 609) Air-Conditioning Certification.
- Emissions inspection and maintenance certification where applicable.
- Utah safety inspection certification for Utah based students.
An overall GPA of 2.00 or "C" is required to obtain this degree.Advisement
Automotive Service students should meet each semester with the program coordinator or faculty advisor for their specific option for advisement. Call for more information or to schedule an appointment.
7:30 a.m.- 4:30 p.m.
Monday through Friday
Weber State University
Technical Education Building
(22 TE on map)
View WSU Map
Automotive Technology Dept.
Weber State University
1465 Edvalson Street
Ogden Utah 84408-1504