Major Course Requirements for BS Degree
Athletic Therapy Courses (22 credit hours)
- HLTH/AT 2300 Emergency Response (3)
- AT/PSY 3200 Psychology of Sport, Injury & Rehabilitation (3)
- AT 3300 Evaluation & Care of Musculoskeletal Injuries: Lower Extremities (3)
- AT 3301 Evaluation & Care of Musculoskeletal Injuries: Upper Extremities (3)
- AT 4100 Basic Therapeutic Modalities for Musculoskeletal Injuries (3)
- AT 4200 Basic Rehabilitation of Musculoskeletal Injuries (3)
- AT 4600 Administration & Management in Athletic Training (3)
- AT 4700 Introduction to Radiology for the Athletic Training Profession (1)
Program Electives (3-6 credit hours) – Must choose at least one. Students completing less than 6 credits of PEP 4890 must choose two.
- AT 4101 Advanced Therapeutic Modalities for Musculoskeletal Injuries (3)
- AT 4201 Advanced Rehabilitation of Musculoskeletal Injuries (3)
- AT 4550 General Medical Conditions and Advances in Athletic Training (3)
Support Courses (35-38 credit hours)
- HLTH SS1030* Healthy Lifestyles (3)
- HTHS 2240** Intro to Pharmacology (3)
- NUTR LS1020* Foundations in Nutrition (3)
- PEP 3500* Kinesiology (3) (Note: Beginning in Fall 2013, this class will be called Biomechanics and will have a new pre-requisite - PEP 3450 Structural Kinesiology)
- PEP 3510 Exercise Physiology (3)
- GERT/PSY/PEP 3600* Measurement for Evaluation and Research (3)
- PEP 4890*** Cooperative Work Experience (3-6)
- PSY SS1010* Introductory Psychology (3)
- PSY 3010 Abnormal Psychology (3)
- ZOOL 2100**** Human Anatomy (4)
- ZOOL 2200**** Human Physiology (4)
* These courses also fulfill General Education or degree requirements.
** These courses may be substituted on a case-by-case basis when students are required to fulfill science requirements for admittance to graduate school with permission from the Program Director.
*** Some students will be required to complete an FBI background check and drug test prior to completing the work experience. The expenses, approximately $75, will be paid for by the student. Some students may also be required to secure additional immunizations, including a hepatitis B vaccination, depending on the cooperative work experience site. The expenses, approximately $40-100, will be paid for by the students.
**** Students may also take HTHS 1110 and 1111 instead of ZOOL 2100 and 2200. However, it is the student’s responsibility to ensure that HTHS 1110 and 1111 will be accepted as prerequisite courses for their graduate program of choice.
Other Pre-Professional Courses
Athletic Therapy Students also generally take the coursework needed for their professional graduate school (physical therapy, occupational therapy, physician’s assistant, or medicine). These courses typically include CHEM 1110 and 1120, PHYS 2010 and 2020, and MATH 1060 (Trigonometry). The prerequisites vary somewhat from one graduate program to another and it is the student’s responsibility to ensure that all pre-professional courses fulfill entrance requirements.
- AT 4800 Individual Projects (1-4)
Course Descriptions can be found in the WSU online catalog at: