Departmental Honors in Athletic Therapy
To earn departmental honors in Athletic Therapy, a student must:
1. Fulfill all the requirements for a bachelor's degree in Athletic Therapy as described in the catalog, maintaining an Athletic Therapy GPA of 3.75.
2. Complete a minimum of 18 credits hours of upper division Athletic Therapy major courses from the following: AT 3200, AT 3300, AT 3301, AT 4100, AT 4101, AT 4200, AT 4201, and AT 4600.
3. Demonstrate evidence of excellence through the completion of an honors project within one of the courses listed in #2 above as defined and approved by the course instructor and Athletic Therapy Program Director and as agreed upon by the student. The assigned project(s) may take many forms including:
a. completing a research project which includes completion of an IRB,
b. writing a case report, OR
c. completing a literature or systematic review evidence based medicine paper
In addition to the Athletic Therapy major courses listed, the student may opt to create his/her honors project through the completion of AT 4800, Individual Projects or PEP 4890, Cooperative Work Experience. If the student decides to seek this option, prior approval is required from the Athletic Therapy Program Director.
a. Submission for presentation of scholarly work from requirement # 3 at a local, state,
or national forum (e.g., Weber State University Undergraduate Research
Symposium and Celebration, Utah Academy of Sciences, Arts, & Letters)
b. Submission of scholarly work from requirement # 3 for public/professional
dissemination (e.g., professional journal, Weber State University Ergo).
Please contact the Athletic Therapy Program Director for advisement and permission prior to enrolling in Honors courses.
Students who have not completed their General Education requirements are strongly encouraged to fulfill them with Honors General Education courses.
How to apply for Departmental Honors in Athletic Therapy:
Students must apply to be awarded departmental honors and be cleared by both the Athletic Therapy Department and the Honors Program.
- Complete the application for Departmental Honors and meet with Dr. Valerie Herzog, the Athletic Therapy departmental Honors advisor. (ValerieHerzog@weber.edu)
- Bring the completed and signed application to Marilyn Diamond, the Honors advisor. To make an appointment with Marilyn, call 626-7336.
- Meet the requirements listed above.
- Complete the exit form for Departmental Honors with Dr. Valerie Herzog, the Athletic Therapy departmental Honors advisor.
- Visit with Marilyn Diamond, the Honors advisor, to be cleared for graduation with Departmental Honors.
Students must be in the Honors Program for at least one full semester before applying for graduation with Honors.
Students earning departmental honors will be recognized in the following ways:
- Departmental Honors regalia for graduation;
- “Athletic Therapy Departmental Honors” designation on the transcript;
- “Athletic Therapy Departmental Honors” printed on the degree diploma;
- Personalized certificate signed by the President of Weber State University and the Honors Director;
- Invitations to Honors educational and social events;
- Invitation to Honors Nye-Cortez banquet at the end of the academic year.
For more information, contact:
Dr. Valerie Herzog Athletic Therapy Program Director ValerieHerzog@weber.edu
TBD: Honors Director 626-6186
Revised May 2013