Dr. George H. Lowe, Jr. was born in St. Anthony, Idaho and moved with his family to Ogden at 12 years of age. After graduating from Ogden High School, he attended Northwestern University, graduating with his Bachelor’s degree and Medical degree. Next Dr. Lowe spent four years at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, MN, as a surgical fellow. He returned to Ogden in 1948 to practice surgery until his retirement in 1982.
Dr. Lowe was president of the Utah Chapter of the American College of Surgeons, a member of the American Board of Surgery, and served as president of The Ogden Surgical Society. Dr. Lowe was also a member of the Board of Directors of the Chamber Ogden/Weber. He was very active in Scouting, Chairman of the Lake Bonneville Council, and instrumental in the development of Camp Loll and Camp Bartlett. Dr. Lowe is married to Beth Felt Lowe. They have six children and 31 grandchildren. The Lowes are active in skiing, river running and camping with their family.
Beth Felt Lowe was raised in Huntsville, Utah, the oldest of eight girls. She learned to haul hay, ride derrick horses, rake hay, milk cows morning and evening, and drive them to water. She graduated from Weber High School and the Dee Memorial Hospital School of Nursing. She met her husband, George in her last year of training. They were married in September of 1943 after Beth was chosen "Charge Nurse" on the hospital’s maternity floor for one year.
Mrs. Lowe has been extremely active in community affairs. She served as room mother for each of her six children. She was a PTA county officer and was co-chair of the Ogden High School PTA Council. She has been active in the Republican Party as a District Leader, Legislative Leader, and County Treasurer of the Weber County Republican Party. She served on the Utah State Board of the Federated Republican Women for sixteen years. She served as co-chair of the Utah Team to Re-Elect Reagan-Bush and attended the Republican National Convention. Mrs. Lowe was a member of the United Way Board for many years. She volunteered for the Red Cross Blood Bank and was a volunteer nurse at McKay-Dee Hospital. Mrs. Lowe served on the Board of Directors of the K-Anns for many years. She was an officer and President of the Weber County Medical Auxiliary, a Board member of the Utah State Medical Auxiliary. Mrs. Lowe was an officer and President of the Chareya Club and the Coronet Club, a member of the Freedom Foundation of Utah and is a member of the Daughters of Utah Pioneers.
Mrs. Lowe is a proud mother of six Children, Dr. George H. Lowe, III; Dr. John Earl Lowe; Steven F. Lowe; David J. Lowe (deceased); Robert Merrill Lowe; and Alta Kay (Lowe) Davis. The Lowe’s have 31 grandchildren.