Composition Core Requirement
Composition Mission Statement
The composition core required by the Utah State Board of Regents is a two-semester sequence of courses: English 1010 and English 2010. The overarching goal of composition is to prepare students to enter the discourse communities of the university and larger society.
Students completing English 2010 will:
- Identify connections between and among texts and their ideas.
- Compose writing that is structurally coherent and unified.
- Compose writing assignments with a clear thesis or main idea.
- Control such surface features as syntax, grammar, punctuation, and spelling.
- Paraphrase, summarize, and use sources appropriately.
- Use MLA and/or APA, citation method correctly.
- Make and support an effective argument.
(approved by Faculty Senate on 2/16/17)