Opening Your Photo
- Go to pixlr.com and click on the Open photo editor link.
- Click Open image from computer and find the photo you want to edit.
Editing Your Photo
If your image needs a little editing (adjusting brightness, contrast, color, ect), you may use the editing tools in this program. This software has a vast number of editing capabilities which are beyond the scope of this tutorial. I will show you a few basic tools, but you can play around with others if you'd like.
Adjusting a Color Cast
- Click on Adjustment > Color Balance (menu bar)
- Use the slider bars to adjust the colors of your photo.
(For example, if your photo was taken in the shade and it seems a little blue, you can either adjust the blue slider down OR adjust the green and red sliders up.)
Adjusting the Brightness Levels
- Click on Adjustment > Levels (menu bar)
(Note: there are several tools you can use to adjust the brightness of your photo. Levels is the preferred tool here because of the control it provides)
- You will see a level graph (similar to audio levels). You will adjust the bars directly below the graph. The first one adjusts the colors in
the dark range, the middle one adjusts the colors in the middle range and the right one adjusts the colors in the brightest range.
Cropping Your Photo
- Click the crop tool in the Tools pallette.
- Click and drag the crop tool to define the area you would like to crop. You may adjust the crop area until you are satisfied and then press
- If you would like the cropped photo to be a specific height and width, do the following:
- With the crop tool selected, click the Constraint: drop-down list and choose Aspect ratio. Then enter the exact width
and height (in pixels) for the photo size you want.
- Next, click and drag your crop area (step 2) and press enter.
- Lastly, you will need to resize your image (see Resizing Your Photo) so it reflects the exact dimensions you want.
- With the crop tool selected, click the Constraint: drop-down list and choose Aspect ratio. Then enter the exact width and height (in pixels) for the photo size you want.
Resizing Your Photo
- With your photo open, click image > image size.
- Enter the dimensions (in pixels) for the new size of your photo and click OK.
Saving Your Photo
When you are finished with your photo, you can save it to your computer.
- Click File > Save... (menu bar)
- Enter the Name: for your image file
- Leave the Format: as JPEG and the Quality: as 80 (This is the best compression for web images. If you want to save the photo for print, change the quality to 100).
- Save the file to your computer.