OGDEN, Utah – Weber State University President Ann Millner has appointed a committee of faculty, staff, students and community members to guide the university through the recertification of its athletic programs with the National Collegiate Athletics Association (NCAA).
This will be the second certification cycle for WSU Wildcat Athletics, having successfully completed its first certification in 1999. Under NCAA requirements and guidelines adopted in 1993 and 1997, all Division I schools must undertake a certification of its athletics programs once every 10 years.
An 18-person steering committee chaired by Jan Winniford, vice president for Student Affairs, met for the first time Sept. 7 to chart a work plan for the recertification process, which will include a self-study done during the current academic year and a site visit by peer evaluators tentatively scheduled for November 2008.
The self-study will focus on three specific areas: academic integrity, governance and commitment to rules compliance, and commitment to equity and student-athlete well-being. Subcommittees have been assigned to focus on these topics, with microbiology professor Craig Oberg chairing the academic integrity subcommittee, interim vice president for University Relations Brad Mortensen leading governance and compliance, and Barry Gomberg, executive director of Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action, chairing the equity subcommittee.
While academic accreditation is common in colleges and universities, this program focuses solely on certification of athletics programs to help ensure their integrity. Institutions benefit by increasing campus and community awareness and knowledge of the athletics program, confirming its strengths and developing plans to improve areas of concern.
“The certification process provides an opportunity to acknowledge the successes we’ve had in Wildcat Athletics and identify areas for improvement,” said Millner.
A member of the NCAA membership services staff will conduct a one-day orientation video conference with the steering committee and subcommittees on Sept. 19.
Steering Committee Members:
• Jan Winniford (Chair), Vice President for Student Affairs
• Ann Millner, President
• Barry Gomberg, Executive Director of Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action
• Craig Oberg, Professor and Chair of Microbiology
• Brad Mortensen, Interim Vice President for University Relations
• Norm Tarbox, Vice President for Administrative Services
• Jerry Bovee, Director of Administrative Support Services
• Jerry Graybeal, Director of Intercollegiate Athletics
• Tom Davidson, Former Chair of Board of Trustees
• Carla Taylor, Head Women’s Basketball Coach, Senior Women’s Administrator
• Molly Smith, Faculty Athletic Representative, Professor of Health Promotion & Human Performance
• Steve Petersen, Board of Trustees
• Bruce Handley, Professor and Chair of Business Administration, Chair of Faculty Senate
• Greg Lewis, Associate Professor of History
• Vicki Major, Bank of Utah, Wildcat Club
• Jayne Nadolski, Assistant Commissioner, Big Sky Conference (Ex-Officio)
• Brian Lindquist, President, Student Athlete Advisory Committee (SAAC)
• Destry East, Student Representative
Visit weber.edu/wsutoday for more news about Weber State University.