Prior to kickoff of Saturday's game versus Western State, WSU alumni will unveil the newly restored Victory Bell that was a fixture at Wildcat athletic events for years, beginning with Homecoming 1939.
The bell dates back to 1888, when it was first hung in Ogden's old city hall building. The bell came to Weber State in the late 1930s after students convinced Ogden City officials to donate the bell to campus before the building was torn down. The 1,000-pound bell, with a diameter of 34 inches, was mounted on the chassis of an old automobile to make it easier to move from event to event. It soon became a symbol of victory and school spirit and even was mentioned in the school fight song "We're Going to Ring the Bell of Victory Tonight," which rallied the Wildcats for 25 years.
It's not clear why or when the Victory Bell stopped ringing at Wildcat events. This spring, the bell was rediscovered after years in storage under Stewart Stadium. The WSU Alumni Emeriti Council provided funds to restore the bell, including a fresh coat of paint. Its chassis also received a new set of tires courtesy of Big O Tires.
On Saturday (Sept. 14), the bell will be reintroduced to campus during a pre-game ceremony at 5:45 p.m. at Stewart Stadium, featuring eight Weber State alumni who played roles in the Victory Bell's history during the '30s and '40s. At Saturday's game, members of the WSU Women's Basketball team will ring the bell every time WSU scores, introducing a new generation of Wildcats to the Victory Bell tradition.