Events Examine Climate Change, Mass Transit
OGDEN, Utah – Dumpster diving, teach-ins and presentations by a transit-oriented development expert from Reconnecting America are planned as part of a weeklong focus on climate change at Weber State University.
The university's Environmental Club and Environmental Issues committee will host several events starting Feb. 2 as part of Focus the Nation 2009, a program committed to raising awareness of the need to cut carbon emissions.
One of the week's highlights includes two presentations on Feb. 5 by Reconnecting America's Jeffrey Wood, who is a program associate at the organization dedicated to promoting communities centered on transit and walking. At the organization, Wood researches funding and technology for transit rail systems, as well as its relationship to development. He will speak on the potential for transit-oriented development in Ogden. Visit reconnectingamerica.org for more information.
Also scheduled for Feb. 5 is a "teach-in," where as many as 80 professors will dedicate the first 10 minutes of their classes to lead discussions on climate change with their students.
Other events include dumpster diving demonstrations, showings of global warming documentaries and lectures focusing on climate change. All events are free and open to the public. For more information, call 801-626-8881.
Focus the Nation 2009 Events:
• Feb. 2: Dumpster diving demonstrations, 10:50 and 11:50 a.m., Shepherd Union Atrium.
• Feb. 3: Screening of the documentary film "Everything's Cool," 7 p.m., Shepherd Union Wildcat Theater.
• Feb. 4: Selected clips from the series "Planet Earth," 9 a.m.-noon, Shepherd Union food court.
• Feb. 5: Lectures on public transportation rail systems presented by Jeffrey Wood of Reconnecting America, noon, Shepherd Union Ballroom A; and 7 p.m., Union Station Browning Auditorium (2501 Wall Ave., Ogden).
• Feb. 6: Lecture on "Dispelling the Myths of Global Warming," presented by WSU geography professor Daniel Bedford, noon, Shepherd Union Room 312.
Visit weber.edu/wsutoday for more news about Weber State University.