Weber State University Upward Bound program has four staff persons working year-round to assist participating students. The Director, Basic Skills Specialist and Math-Science Specialist rotate through the five target high schools and assorted junior high schools meeting with students on an individual and small group basis. An office assistant is available in the office during the day to work with parents and campus personell.
Each school year, from September to May, Upward Bound staff provide students with the following services:
- Academic tutoring with individual and group sessions in addition to homework assistance
- Monitoring of academic progress maintaining a college-bound track
- Individual counseling for academic or personal problems
- Academic improvement with college/university-level skills training
- Career exploration
- Access to academic and cultural activities
- Access to a variety of community involvement and service activities
- College entrance exam preparation
- College admissions, registrations and navigation
- Assistance with financial aid and scholarship applications
Students meet with Education Specialists weekly at Weber State University in the Social Sciences Building on Saturdays from 9:00 am to 12:30 pm for College Prep/Study Hall. In addition, Education Specialists meet with students at individual schools during the week as necessary.
Other college students and staff volunteer and work throughout the school year at the Saturday College Prep/Study Halls on campus assisting with academic tutoring and group activities.
Saturday College Prep
Anti-Bullying Presentation at the Boys and Girls Club
Anti-Bullying Interview with Univision
Boys and Girls Club "Duck Derby" Community Service
Boys and Girls Club "A Day for Kids" Community Service
Utah Jazz Game
Thanksgiving Dinner at the Summit Hotel
Boys and Girls Club "Youth of the Year"
Science Saturday at Weber State University
Hill Aerospace Museum