F-1 Students: Getting Your Student Visa

Steps for Applying for your F-1 Student Visa

  1. Pay the SEVIS I-901 fee by going to fmjfee.com. Print a copy of the receipt and keep it with your records.
  2. Make a visa appointment with the nearest U.S. Embassy or Consulate to apply for an F-1 Visa. To check locations and to make an appointment go to: http://www.usembassy.gov/.
  3. Go to the F-1 Visa appointment at the U.S. Embassy or Consulate for the F-1 Visa interview. For more details go to: http://travel.state.gov/visa/temp/types/types_1268.html#5.
    • Each applicant must submit the following forms and documentation listed below:
      • Acceptance Letter from WSU
      • Form I-20A-B, Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant (F-1) Student Status
      • Online Nonimmigrant Visa Electronic Application, Form DS-160
      • Passport – valid for travel to the U.S. & with validity date at least six months beyond intended period of stay in the U.S.
      • One (1) 2x2 photograph
      • A MRV fee receipt to show payment of the visa application fee
      • The SEVIS I-901 fee receipt
    • All applicants should be prepared to provide:
      • Transcripts and diplomas from previous institutions attended;
      • Scores from standardized tests such as the TOEFL, IELTS, SAT, GRE, GMAT, etc.;
      • Financial evidence that shows you or your sponsor has sufficient funds to cover your tuition and living expenses during the period of your intended study.
      • Required Visa fees; Nonimmigrant visa application processing fee and/or Visa issuance fee.
      • You may also be asked for additional documents that are not listed here.

Received an F-1 VISA - What's Next?