Frequently Asked Questions

What kinds of degrees are available?

  • The student will earn an Associate of Applied Science (A.A.S) upon completion of the program requirements for Radiography.

  • Registered Technologists will earn a Bachelor of Science (BS) upon completion of specialized concentration program requirements.

  • Students who have earned a Bachelor of Science degree will earn a Master of Science in Radiologic Sciences (MSRS) upon completion of the program requirements.

  • Advanced courses are also available for continuing education purposes.

What are the employment opportunities?

  • Your future as a Registered Radiologic Technologist (R.T.) can be most promising and fulfilling.  Completion of the Associate of Applied Science degree in the Radiography (X-ray) Program opens employment opportunities in hospitals, clinics, physicians offices and in industrial x-ray.
  • You may continue to advance in your career into any of the following areas of treatment and diagnostic imaging:
Cardiovascular-Interventional Technology
Computed Tomography
Diagnostic Medical Sonography
Magnetic Resonance Imaging
Nuclear Medicine
Radiation Therapy
Radiology Assistant
Supervisor, Department Manager, Administrator
  • For more information on the Occupational Outlook for Radiologic Technologists, visit the Bureau of Labor Statistics web site. 

  • The American Society of Radiologic Technologists ( the national professional organization of Radiologic Technologists may also provide you information about the profession.

What are the typical starting salaries of graduates of the two-year Radiography program?

  • Please see for most recent salary information.   Salaries will vary greatly from state to state.

What will I learn about in the program?
  • You will learn about patient care and assessment; psycho-social aspects of patient care; radiation biology, safety and protection; radiation physics and instrumentation; anatomy and radiographic positioning procedures; medical terminology and pathology; and the principles and techniques of diagnostic imaging.

When I graduate, will I have to be licensed to perform my duties?

  • After completion of the Radiography Program, you will sit for the national certification examination administered by the American Registry of Radiologic Technologists (ARRT) ( Passing the ARRT examination earns you the privilege of being a Registered Radiologic Technologist and using the initials R.T. after your name.  The ARRT certification is recognized in all fifty states and in most other countries.  Certification in the specialized areas is also available to reflect your educational accomplishments and may be required in order to work in the specialized area.  Many states have state licensure requirements; however, the ARRT certification is accepted in most states to fulfill the state regulations.

Is there continuing education requirements to maintain my certification?

  • Yes.  Currently the profession of Radiologic Technology requires that Radiographers obtain the equivalent of 12 continuing education credits (12 educational contact hours) per year (24 hours every two years).  

  • The profession of Radiologic Technology is constantly changing.    Advances in technology continue to restructure the profession and what is required of the Radiologic Technologist.  Continuing education is required to help Technologists stay abreast of these changes.

There are many Radiologic Technology programs available throughout the country.  How do I decided which on is right for me? 

  • Of most importance when deciding on an educational program in  Radiologic Technology is the program's accreditation.  In order to qualify to take the ARRT certification examination, you must graduate from an accredited program.  Two accrediting agencies that are currently recognized by the ARRT and others in the profession are:  the Northwest Association of Schools and Colleges and the Joint Review Committee on Education in Radiologic Technology.

  • Another consideration is to determine if the credit you obtain from the program you chose, will transfer to other institutions.  Many Technologists wish to continue their education which will lead  them toward a degree (Bachelors or Masters).  It is to your benefit if your program credit will transfer into your chosen degree program.

  • You may want to also consider the faculty and clinical sites available to you as a student.

Is WSU's Radiologic Science's Radiologic Technology Program accredited?

  • Yes.  Weber State University is a member of the American Council on Education and the American Association of State Colleges and Universities. The University is accredited by the Northwest Association of Schools and Colleges and the Utah State Board of  Regents. The Radiologic Sciences Programs are recognized by the American Registry of Radiologic Technologists as meeting national professional standards. ARRT certification eligibility requires graduation from an educational program accredited by a mechanism acceptable to the ARRT.