Dr. Sally Bishop Shigley, Professor of English
Ph.D. Oklahoma State University 1992
Office: Elizabeth Hall 428
Teaching and Research Interests:
Medical and Healthcare Humanities, Medical Literacy, Empathy in Neuroscience and Literature, Poetry Writing and Analysis
- MENG 6010 Introduction to Graduate Studies
- MENG 6710 Poetry Workshop
- MENG 6810/English 4810 Professional Writing for Nursing
- English 3080 Critical Approaches to Literature
- English 4620 Literature of the British Renaissance
- Honors 3900 Medicine and Literature
- *Currently working on developing a general education course in medicine and literature.
- “Teaching Medical Humanities in an Undergraduate Honors Class” forthcoming 2013 Journal of Medical Humanities.
- “Feeling Your Pain: The Challenges of Using Literature as a Means of Encouraging Empathy in Students Interested in Pursuing Careers in Healthcare” accepted for publication in Rethinking Empathy.
- “Natural Curl.” The Carolina Quarterly (March 2003): 80.
- Presentations: “Teaching Medical Humanities in an Undergraduate Classroom.” American Society for Bioethics and Humanities, October 2012.
- “Laughter and the Best Medicine” April 2013 College English conference.