Sian Griffiths, Assistant Professor of English
Research and Teaching Areas:
Creative writing (including novels, short stories, poetry, and essays), the history of the novel, 19th century novel, Victorian literature, literature of the "wild west" from railway novels to spaghetti westerns.
Degrees and years awarded:
University of Georgia – Athens, GA
Ph.D. English (Creative Writing), May 2006
Dissertation: Borrowed Horses, a novel
Committee: Judith Ortiz Cofer and Reginald McKnight (major professors), Richard Menke, and Roxanne Eberle
M.A. English (Creative Writing), May 2002
Thesis: Kicking Chekhov: a collection of fiction and non-fiction
Committee: Judith Ortiz Cofer (major professor), Terry Hummer, and Richard Menke
University of Idaho – Moscow, ID
B.A. English (Creative Writing), May 1995
Phi Beta Kappa Honor Society
English 6610: Writing Creative Nonfiction
English 4940: Writer's Workshop
English 3350: Writing Speculative Fiction
English 3260: Poetry Writing
English 3250: Advanced Fiction Writing
English 2260: Intro to Writing Short Fiction
English 2010: Intermediate College Writing
Honors 1540: Screenwriting
English 1010: Introduction to College Writing
- Borrowed Horses: A Novel, New Rivers Press, Moorhead, MN [forthcoming October 2013]
Creative Journal Publications
- “Dislocated” (essay), Mary: A Journal of New Writing (Summer 2012). http://maryajournalofnewwriting.wordpress.com/nonfiction/sian-b-griffiths/
- “Pearls” (short story), Waccamaw 8 (Fall 2011). http://www.waccamawjournal.com/pages.html?x=358
- “The Chicago Art Institute: A Guided Tour” (sequence of four poems), Timber [forthcoming]
- “Fistful,” “Persistence of Geese,” and “Proud Flesh” (poems—anthology reprints), The Southern Poetry Anthology, Vol. V: Georgia, Ed. William Wright. Huntsville, TX: Texas Review Press [forthcoming]
- “Fistful” (poem—anthology reprint), Imaginative Writing 3rd ed., Ed. Janet Burroway. New York: Penguin, 2010: 81.
- “The Love of Reindeer” (poem), Versal 8 (2010): 6.
- “Proud Flesh” (poem), Cave Wall 6 (Summer/Fall 2009): 44-45.
- “Bread” (personal essay), Oregon Literary Review (Summer 2009). http://orelitrev.startlogic.com/v4n2/OLR-griffiths.htm
- “Two Mermaids” (poem), The Sow’s Ear Poetry Review (Winter 2009): 8.
- “My daughter, four, confronts an autumn window and all its contradictions” (poem), Literary Mama. http://www.literarymama.com/poetry/archives/2009/07/my-daughter-four.html
- “Persistence of Geese” (poem), Permafrost (Spring 2008): 42-3.
- “Coming Home” (novel excerpt from Borrowed Horses), Mangrove Review (Spring 2008).
- “What Is Solid.” (short story), Versal 5 (2007): 77.
- “Fistful” (poem), Ninth Letter 4.2 (Fall/Winter 2007): 45.
- “Building Tall” (short story), Clackamas Literary Review 11 (2007): 114.
- “Paper Hats” (short story), Quarterly West 62.1 (Spring/Summer 2006): 85.
- “Somewhere in the Sawtooths. June.” (poem), Court Green 3 (2006): 97.
- “Why I’m Not Pretty” (memoir), The River Oak Review 2.1 (Fall 2004): 26-33.
- “What the Scorpions Know” (personal essay), Riverteeth, a Journal of Nonfiction Narrative 5.2 (Spring 2004): 75-76.
Scholarly Journal Publications
- “Review of Amina Gautier’s At Risk” (book review), The Iowa Review online, http://iowareview.uiowa.edu/?q=reviews/nov-21-2012/amina_gautiers_at_risk
- “Writing the Trans-Genre Novel: An Interview with Pam Houston” (interview), Weber: The Contemporary West [forthcoming]
- “Book Brief” on Dan Albergotti’s The Boatloads (book review), The Georgia Review 63.4 (Winter 2009): 722.
- “Invented Cities: Creating Place-Informed Characters” (pedagogy paper), The Best of the AWP Pedagogy Papers 2009, http://www.awpwriter.org/pdf/2009BestofPed.pdf: 12.
- “Dissolving Pearls: Charlotte Brontë’s Textual Hieroglyphs” (scholarly article), Women’s Writing 14 (2007): 49-69.
- “Book Brief” on Rebecca Solnit’s A Field Guide to Getting Lost (book review), The Georgia Review 60.1 (Spring 2006): 256-57.
- “Book Brief” on Dennis Covington’s Redneck Riviera: Armadillos, Outlaws, and the Demise of an American Dream (book review), The Georgia Review 59.3 (Fall 2005): 730-31.
- Eden. Feature film. Written by Megan Griffiths and Richard B. Phillips. Directed by Megan Griffiths. Starring Jamie Chung and Beau Bridges. Premiered at 2012 South By Southwest Film Festival.
- The Off Hours. Feature film. Written by Megan Griffiths. Directed by Megan Griffiths. Starring Amy Seimetz, Ross Partridge, and Scoot McNairy. Premiered at 2011 Sundance Film Festival.
- Editor, Trillium: Piedmont College’s Literary and Arts Journal, Demorest, Georgia, Spring 2008-2011.
- Graduate Editorial Assistant, Georgia Review, Athens, Georgia, Fall 2004-Summer 2005.
- “Fragment from New Brighton,” Sewanee Writers’ Conference, Sewanee, TN, July 24-August 5, 2012.
- “Invented Cities: Creating Place-Informed Characters” (pedagogy forum), Association of Writers and Writing Programs Conference, Chicago, IL, February 12-15, 2009.
- “Legacy of the Lunatic: Jane Eyre and Aurora Leigh,” British Women Writers Conference, Bloomington, IN, March 27-30, 2008.
- “Fragment from Borrowed Horses,” Sandhills Writing Conference, Augusta, GA, March 22-25, 2007.
- “Dissolving Pearls: Charlotte Brontë’s Textual Hieroglyphs,” 14th Annual Eighteenth- and Nineteenth- Century British Women Writers Conference, Gainesville, FL, March 23-26, 2006.
- “Locating Women’s Value: The Marketplace Without, The Marketplace Within,” Negotiating 19th Century Spaces Conference, Columbia, SC, March 11-12, 2005.
- “’White Godiva’: Sylvia Plath’s Unpeeling of Self,” (Dis)locating Identity in Twentieth Century Literature, An International Conference, Columbia, SC, April 3, 2004.
- “Transports: Jane Austen’s Use of Horse and Carriage to Imagine Gender Relationships,” 12th Annual Eighteenth- and Nineteenth- Century British Women Writers Conference, Athens, GA, March 26, 2004.
Readings and Lectures
- Invited Reader (with Melanie Rae Thon), City Arts Reading Series, Salt Lake City, UT, December 5, 2012.
- Invited Speaker, AHA! Board, Weber State University, Ogden, UT, September 6, 2012.
- Featured Reader (with Josh Robbins), Weber State University, Ogden, UT, June 7, 2012.
- Featured Speaker and Reader, Ladies’ Literary Luncheon,Weber State University, Ogden, UT, April 4, 2012.
- Featured Reader, Weber State University Faculty Forum, Hetzel-Hoellein Room of Weber State University, Ogden, UT, October 12, 2011.
- Featured Reader (with Dan Rosenburg and Becca Myers), The Snake Pants Reading, Flicker, Athens, GA, June 21, 2011.
- Featured Reader (with Matt Forsythe), Roving Scribblers, Piedmont College, Demorest, GA, April 5, 2011.
- Featured Reader (with Matt Forsythe), UGA Homecoming Reading, University of Georgia, Athens, GA, April 13, 2010.
- Reader (with David Ingles, Jenn Blair, and Misha Cahnmann Taylor), The Vox Reading Series at Hot Corner Coffee, Athens, GA, February 8, 2007.
- Invited Speaker, Dean’s Tea at Franklin Residential College, University of Georgia, Athens, GA, November 9, 2006.
- Reader. Vox Reading Series Hurricane Katrina Relief Benefit at Little Kings, Athens, GA, October 8, 2005.
- Reader (with Creative Writing Program panel), The Vox Reading Series at Flicker, Athens, GA, September 7, 2005.
- Featured Reader (with Dorine Preston), UGA Maymester Summer Writing Institute ($200 honorarium), May 24, 2005.
- Reader (with Danielle Pafunda, Kirsten Kaschock, and Jack Christian), The Vox Reading Series at Flicker, Athens, GA, April 13, 2005.
- Featured Reader (with A.C. Hoff and Sam Prestridge), The Vox Reading Series at Flicker, Athens, GA, November 5, 2003.
Awards and Honors
- Eccles Honors Fellowship Award (2012-13)
- Pushcart Prize nomination by Versal for “What Is Solid” (December 2007)
- 1st Place in Fiction for Borrowed Horses at Sanibel Island Contest (October 2007)
- 3rd Place in Novel for Borrowed Horses at Sandhills Writing Conference (March 2007)
- Robert E. Park Fellowship Award (2006-07)
- Robert H. West Scholar Award, (outstanding graduate student, Department of English, University of Georgia, 2006)
- Outstanding Teaching Assistant Award (University of Georgia, 2006)
- Committee Chair. Hiring Committee: Poetry, Professor of English, Fall 2012-present.
- Committee Member. English Faculty Development Committee, Fall 2012-present.
- Committee Member. English Curriculum Committee, Fall 2012-present.
- Committee Member. English Advisory Committee, Fall 2012-present.
- Committee Member. Undergraduate Research Grant Committee, Fall 2011-present.
- Committee Member. Creative Writing Committee, Fall 2011-present.
- Committee Member. Master of English Admissions Committee, Fall 2011-Spring 2012.
- Committee Member. Hiring Committee: Poetry Writing and Composition, Instructor, Spring 2012-Summer 2012.
- Committee Member. Hiring Committee: New Media and Digital Humanities, Professor of English, Fall 2011-Spring 2012.
- Committee Member. Student Athlete Equity Committee. Fall 2011.
- Abstract Evaluator, National Council of Undergraduate Research Conference, Fall 2011.
- Director. PC 101: Introduction to College Life and the Liberal Arts program at Demorest and Athens campuses of Piedmont College, Summer 2010-present.
- Committee Member. Quality Enhancement Committee for the Athens Campus of Piedmont College, Fall 2009-present.
- Judge. Chattahoochee Valley Community College Fiction Contest, Spring 2005.
- Organizer. Graduate Student Readings, UGA Maymester Summer Writing Institute, May 16-27, 2005.
- Organizer. Terry Hummer Poetry Reading. University of Georgia, Athens, April 26, 2005.
- Organizer, Moderator, and Panelist. “English Graduate Organization Panel Discussion: Preparing for and Taking the Comprehensive Examination.” University of Georgia, Athens. April 5, 2005.
- Vice President. University of Georgia English Graduate Organization, 2004-05.
- Vice President and Founding Member. University of Georgia Nineteenth Century Reading Group, 2004-05.
- Committee Member. 1102 Final Exam Committee, University of Georgia, Athens, Fall 2003.
- Judge. Chattahoochee Valley Community College Fiction Contest, Fall 2002.
- Associated Writing Programs (AWP), 2001-2008.
- Modern Language Association (MLA), 2004-2008.
- British Women Writers Association (BWWA), 2005-2009.