Dr. Judy Elsley, Professor of English
Director of Honors Program
Ph.D., University of Arizona
Office: EH 217
Teaching and Research Interests:
Personal Essay, Twentieth Century British Literature, Dyeing and Quilting
Auto/Biographical Reading and Writing, Studies in Shakespeare, Text and Textile: Developing Creativity, Modern British Literature, Contemporary British Literature, Writers’ Workshop, Studies in British Literature, Theory and Practice of Autobiography
Publications and Presentations:
- Getting Comfortable: A Woman in the West. (Seven personal essays) Jumping Cholla Press, 1997.
- Quilts As Text(ile)s: The Semiotics of Quilting. (A revision of my Ph.D. dissertation) Peter Lang Publications. 1996.
- Quilt Culture: Tracing the Patterns. (An anthology of essays theorizing quilting) Edited with Cheryl Torsney, Professor at West Virginia University. University of Missouri Press, 1994.
- "Trusting the Process: The Creative Links Between Writing and Quilting,"Textile Perspectives, British Quilting Guild. Issue 49, Summer 2010. Ps. 14-16.
- "Pens and Needles: Writing About Quilts." Textile Perspectives, British Quilting Guild. Issue 47, Summer 2009. June 2009.
- "Clay Lessons." (Personal essay) Weber Studies, Volume 23, No. 2, Winter 2007. 62-69.
- "Annotated Bibliography of a Selection of Children's Books Featuring Quilts and Quilters." Blanket Statements, issue 71, Winter 2003. P. 13.
- "Tell Me a Story: Cultural Values in Quilt Literature." Uncoverings: Journal of the American Quilt Study Group, Vol. 23. Lincoln, Nebraska: American Quilt Study Group, 2002. 65-80.
- "A Feast of Stories." Vista: Weber State University News for Alumni and Friends. Spring 2000. 8-9.
- "Creating Space for Marriage." Utah Foreign Language Review, March 2000. Volume X No.1. 90-99.
- "Dividing Up the World," personal essay. Weber Studies. Vol. 17, No. 1, Fall 1999. 39-45.
- "Nothing can be sole or whole that has not been rent": Fragmentation in the Quilt and The Color Purple. Reprinted in Critical Essays on Alice Walker, edited by Ikenna Dieke. Westport, Connecticut: Greenwood Press, 1999. 163-170
- "A Stitch in Crime: Quilt Detective Novels." Uncoverings: Journal of the American Quilt Study Group, Vol. 19, 1998. 137-153.
- "Giving Birth to Menopause." Sing Heavenly Muse! Women's Poetry and Prose (Womenstory: Memoir). Issue # 23, January 1998. 80-86.
- "Inherited Slides: Photo(auto)biography." Rocky Mountain Review of Language and Literature.Vol.51, no. 2, 1997. 19-30.
- "An AIDS Patchwork: personal essay." Weber Studies. Vol. 13, No. 3, Fall 1996. 65-74.
- With Priti Kumar: "Living Between Cultures: A Dialogue." The Researcher: Journal of Northern Rocky Mountain Educational Association. Vol. 11 No 1, May 1996. 27-31.
- "Making Critical Connections in Quilt Scholarship." Uncoverings: Journal of the American Quilt Study Group, Vol. 16, 1995. 229-243.