Dr. Janine Joseph, Assistant Professor of English
Research and Teaching Areas:
Creative Writing (poetry and essay), Immigration Studies, American Literature, Postcolonial Literature (Anglophone Caribbean Literature), American Empire, Trauma Studies
Ph.D., Literature and Creative Writing: University of Houston
Master of Fine Arts in Poetry: New York University
Bachelor of Arts, Creative Writing: University of California, Riverside
Associate in Arts: Riverside Community College
MENG 6510: Eminent Writers: Sylvia Plath
ENGL 4940: Writer's Workshop: Poetry and Lyric Essay
ENGL 3350: Experimenting with Poetic Forms
ENGL 3260: Poetry Writing
ENGL 2270: Intro to Poetry Writing
ENGL 2250: Into to Creative Writing
- “From My Mother’s Mother.” Libretto commissioned by the Houston Grand Opera for the “Song of Houston: East + West” series. Music composed by Jeeyoung Kim. 2012.
- “The Three Little Pigs.” Script adaptation for the Houston Grand Opera. Music composed by Thomas Hulten. 2014.
- “Landscape with American Dream.” The California Journal of Poetics. (Forthcoming)
- “‘More milk, more milk makes it better’” and “Where There’s Smoke.” Eleven Eleven. Issue 17. (Forthcoming summer 2014)
- “Chain Migration.” Hyphen Magazine. (Forthcoming summer 2014)
- “Between Chou and the Butterfly” and “About the Visas.” The Journal 38:2. (Forthcoming spring 2014)
- “Electromyography.” The Collagist 55. 2014.
- “Shift.” Painted Bride Quarterly 88. 2013.
- “Swarm” and “Leaving the Non-Profit Immigration Lawyer’s Office.” Kenyon Review Online. Summer 2013.
- “Assimilation” and “After the flood.” la fovea. 2013.
- “Exchanging Vows.” Asian American Literary Review 3:2. 2012.
- “Comeuppance” and “Narrative.” Lantern Review 4. 2012.
- “Wreck.” Hayden’s Ferry Review 48. 2011.
- “Break.” Clementine 2. 2009.
- “What after.” Third Coast 27. 2008.
- “The whole truth and nothing” and “Second lesson (Pressure position).” Calabash 5:1. 2008.
- “Postcard” and “Northern Lights.” Nimrod International Journal 52:1. 2008.
- “Slow Machinery.” Spoon River Poetry Review 33:1. 2008.
- “Traveling on the I-698.” Salt Hill 20. 2008.
- “Everything Signed & Filed.” Park Slope Reader 3. 2007.
- “Fourth Lesson (Pasalubong).” Paterson Literary Review 36. 2007.
- “Alabang, 198–” and “Where the stars are in California when you’re an illegal alien.” Caribbean Writing Today. April 2007.
- “Drift.” Askew 1. 2006.
- “History.” Fugue 31. 2006.
- “The Undocumented Immigrant Poem # 79.” Oberon 4. 2006.
- “Wreck.” Best New Poets 2011. D.A. Powell, ed. Jazzy Danziger and Jeb Livingood, series eds. University of Virginia Press: VA, 2011. 6.
- “Driving without a license.” Here is a Pen: An Anthology of West Coast Kundiman Poets. Ching-In Chen, Margaret Rhee, and Debbie Yee, eds. Achiote Press: Berkeley, CA, 2009. 7.
- “Junkyarding through the great Moreno Valley.” Breathe: 101 Contemporary Odes. Ryan G. Van Cleave and Chad Prevost, eds. C & R Press: Chattanooga, TN, 2009. 109-10.
- “Second Lesson (Circle Inn),” “Junkyarding through the great Moreno Valley,” and “The Undocumented Immigrant Poem # 79.” Bear Flag Republic: Prose Poems and Poetics from California. Christopher Buckley and Gary Young, eds. Greenhouse Review Press/Alcatraz Editions: Santa Cruz, CA, 2008. 218-19.
- “Anilao, 1989.” Homage to Vallejo. Christopher Buckley, ed. Greenhouse Review Press: Santa Cruz, CA, 2006. 36-7.
- “The Exemplary Poem and the Exemplary Life.” The Press at California State University Fresno & Greenhouse Review Press: 2013.
- “Process Profile: Janine Joseph Discusses ‘Postcard.’” Lantern Review: Process Profiles. Iris Law, ed. 19 May 2010.
Selected Editorial Experience:
- Editor: Tongue: A Journal of Writing & Art ( 2010 – Present)
- Poetry Editor: Gulf Coast: A Journal of Literature and Fine Arts (2010 – 2013)
- Reader: NPR’s Three-Minute Fiction Contest (2012)
- Assistant Poetry Editor: Gulf Coast: A Journal of Literature and Fine Arts (2008 – 2010)
- Layout & Design Editor and Poetry Staff: Washington Square Journal (2005 – 2008)
- Reading. Faculty Reading (with Laura Stott). Weber State University, Ogden, UT: February 2014.
- Reading. City Arts Reading Series (with Mike White). Salt Lake City Public Library, Salt Lake City: November 2013.
- Reading and Q & A with Siân Griffiths. Ladies Literary Society, Ogden: October 2013.
- Brazos Bookstore/Academy of American Poets Prize Winners Reading Series (with Elizabeth Lyons), Brazos Bookstore, Houston, TX: Spring 2013.
- Gulf Coast Reading Series (with Ed Porter and Kimberly Bruss), Rudyard’s, Houston, TX: Spring 2013.
- Poison Pen Reading Series (Gulf Coast editors), Poison Girl Bar, Houston, TX: Fall 2012.
- Poetry & Prose Reading Series (with Ed Porter and Will Donnelly), University of Houston M. D. Anderson Library, Houston, TX: Fall 2012.
- Poison Pen Reading Series (Gulf Coast editors), Poison Girl Bar, Houston, TX: Fall 2011.
- Common Ground Teachers’ Institute Reading Series, University of Houston Honors College, Houston, TX: Summer 2011.
- Poison Pen Reading Series (Gulf Coast editors), Poison Girl Bar, Houston, TX: Fall 2010.
- “Poets Corner,” Taping for the Blind, Houston, TX: Spring 2010.
- Gulf Coast Reading Series (with Ian Stansel and Liz Countryman), Brazos Bookstore, Houston TX: Spring 2010.
- Poison Pen Reading Series (with Andrew Kozma and Joel Orr), Poison Girl Bar, Houston, TX: Fall 2009.
- Pinecones: A Podcast of Young Poets, www.pineconespoetry.net: Episode 2.
- Chin Music Reading Series (with Lorraine Doran and John Brehm), Pacific Standard, Brooklyn, NY: Fall 2008.
- MFA Graduate Reading, New York University, NY: Spring 2007.
- Kundiman & Verlaine Reading Series (with Aimee Nezhukumatathil and Zohra Saed), Verlaine, NY: Fall 2007.
- The Lovely Nowhere 6 (With Patrick Rosal, Lara Stapleton, R.A. Villanueva, and Paolo Javier), La MaMa Theatre, NY: Summer 2007.
- NYU Emerging Writers, Bowery Poetry Club, NY: Spring 2007.
Panel and Conference Presentations:
- “Migrants, Monsters, and Mutants.” Panelist, with Tamiko Beyer, Sarah Gambito, Joseph O. Legaspi, Bushra Rehman, and R.A. Villanueva. Massachusetts Poetry Festival, Salem: May 2014.
- “Migration Histories – Total Recall or Selective Amnesia? The Uses and Abuses of History in the Immigration Discussion.” Panelist, with Israel Pastrana and Chris Newman. Weber State University Diversity Conference, Ogden: October 2013.
- “Publishing Panel.” Panelist, with Ed Porter, Joseph Scapellato, and Adam Peterson. Houston Indie Book Festival, Houston: April 2013.
- “From My Mother’s Mother.” Lecture on collaboration between composers and writers, with Jeeyoung Kim. University of Houston Moores School of Music, Houston, Texas: Fall 2012.
- “Extended Stay.” Invited Speaker. College of Liberal Arts and Social Sciences Dean’s Advisory Board Meeting. University of Houston, Houston, Texas: Spring 2012.
- “Consumption: A Reading and Roundtable with Asian American Poets.” Reader and Panelist. Association for Asian American Studies Conference, New Orleans: May 2011.
- “We Were All Poets in the 3rd Grade: What Happened?” (Writers in the Schools Alliance). Panelist, with Jane Creighton, Mary Rechner, Giuseppe Taurino, Jeanine Walker. AWP Conference, Washington, D.C.: February 2011.
- “The First Year Experience.” Speaker. Writers in the Schools Orientation, Houston, TX: Fall 2010.
- “Kundiman: Love Songs and Leaps of Faith.” Reader and Panelist. AWP Conference, Denver, CO: Spring 2010.
- “7 and 7: 7 Poets Celebrate Kundiman’s 7th Year as a Poetry Community.” Reader and Panelist. Split This Rock Festival, Washington D.C.: Spring 2010.
- Writing by Degrees: National Graduate Creative Writing Conference. Reader and Panelist. Binghamton University, NY: Fall 2006.
Selected Honors and Awards:
- Inprint/Barthelme Memorial Fellowship in Poetry (2013)
- Dissertation Completion Fellowship, College of Liberal Arts and Social Sciences (2012 – 2013)
- Paul & Daisy Soros Fellowship for New Americans (2009 – 2011)
- Brazos Bookstore/Academy of American Poets Prize (judge: Laura Kasischke) (2010)
- Michener Fellowship, University of Houston (2009 – 2010)
- Inprint Fellowship (2008)
- Cynthia Woods Mitchell Center for Collaboration among the Arts at the University of Houston Fellowship (2008)
- Teaching Fellowship, University of Houston (2008 – 2013)
- Writing Fellow, Kundiman (2007 – Present)
- Master Poetry Class with Jack Gilbert and Linda Gregg, 92nd St. Y Unterbeg Poetry Center (2007)
- Steinhardt School of Culture, Communication, and Human Development Graduate Assistant Fellowship, New York University (2005 – 2007)
- Creative Writing Fellowship, New York University (2005)
- Starworks Foundation Fellowship, New York University (2005)
Ph.D., University of Houston
Office: EH 442